Tortoise supply or Sunland breeders?

britsip

Location (City and/or State)
Reno, NV
I know most people have nothing but great things to say about Tortoise Supply. I've purchased seed from them and it's been excellent. But my struggle is whether I should buy my first tortoise, a golden greek, from Tortoise Supply or Sunland Breeders. Has anybody had dealings with Sunland?
I've been leaning towards Sunland only because they seem to produce very bright goldens. But I also want to make sure I'm buying a tortoise from the best possible source... Any advice, opinions, or general dialogue is appreciated.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I have not purchased tortoises from either, but have dealt with both for information and supplies.

I have not purchased from Sunland, beacuse they would not sell me the exact tortoise I wanted (nearly all black pancake, truly beautiful). I have seen many of their neonates at several shows and chatted with both Christina and Casnadra. They know their animals and the presentation of the vitality of the ones they bring to shows is at least as excellent as those Tyler brings for TortoiseSupply.

I think both vendors show in Sacramento, so you can go meet and talk to them in-person as well as see the animals before you buy. I think both vendors make a majority of shows throughout the west coast. Certainly they do for southern Cal shows. It's a bit of a toss up as to say one has better animals, both are pretty good.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
I bought two Cherryhead hatchlings from them. One of them didn't make it. I wrote to tell Tyler at Tortoise Supply and he just became so defensive. Didn't care about what happened. I realize that Hatchlings are very delicate. I wasn't accusing them - just letting them know. They showed no compassion - just defensive. And all I did was tell them about it. As a breeder, I would want to know everything. How and why. He could care less. Not even good salesmanship. Very disappointed. Have since purchased another hatchling from the TortoiseYard. Very happy with what I got and the excellent communication from Vicki.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know Chris and Tyler both. I'd buy from either of them.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
That's your choice Tom. I was just telling my story as requested in the original post. I'm certain that at some point Tyler would have responded in a more professional and empathetic manner.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I bought two Cherryhead hatchlings from them. One of them didn't make it. I wrote to tell Tyler at Tortoise Supply and he just became so defensive. Didn't care about what happened. I realize that Hatchlings are very delicate. I wasn't accusing them - just letting them know. They showed no compassion - just defensive. And all I did was tell them about it. As a breeder, I would want to know everything. How and why. He could care less. Not even good salesmanship. Very disappointed. Have since purchased another hatchling from the TortoiseYard. Very happy with what I got and the excellent communication from Vicki.

You wrote me just to tell me? You wrote me to tell me that your vet blamed me, you agreed, and you wanted a refund, and then threatened to "expose me" on social media, as if I had done something wrong. That's not exactly "just letting me know." I'm sorry for the loss, as I said in the first sentence of the first email response I sent you after you told me of the loss. Good grief, we really can't keep everyone happy, as hard as we try. We already have by far the most solid guarantee in the industry, guarantee every shipment regardless of UPS screwing up, we still guarantee it. We ship when it's cold or hot and we do so very successfully, and we guarantee them for 7 days beyond that. Additionally, we don't use loopholes in our Terms & Conditions to get out of every claim like almost all of our competition does.

Last edited:

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Then I told you - my second email - that you were right about the money. That it was no longer the issue. It was your attitude. Your total lack of regard. I told you the Vet didn't 'blame you.' Lets exaggerate. Regardless, That is what happened - as I wrote it. I learned my lesson. I saved the emails if you need a reminder. I don't want to be bothered with this issue anymore.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I don't particularly care that you have "saved" emails, I have 15 years worth of emails and 6 years of orders saved from thousands of people, it doesn't change anything that happened and wouldn't verify my side of this (i.e. nothing I said was false). I understand that you're trying hard to paint me as "careless," but nobody would refund you after more than a month had passed, and a refund request/assumption was in your first email after the death. You'd be lucky to get a refund out of most other tortoise sellers even if you had a valid claim within their guarantee.

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
I'm sure you do have quality tortoises. I still have one of them and she's doing great. I'm done with this. It was a mistake I made - I learned from it. I hope you did too.