Tortoise Table Design for Star

nfinitefx

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
Hi everyone,

I am designing a new tortoise table for my star tortoises and I am in need of some advices. I am trying to maximize the indoor space that I have so my maximum size would be 220cm x 60cm (86" x 23"). Thanks in advance for any inputs!

Note: I live in a tropical climate with the following measurements
outdoor temperature of 24-34 degrees, humidity 60-90% (quite similar to Southeastern India)
indoor temperature of 23-30 degrees, humidity 40-65%
cool area of the current tortoise table 24-25 degrees, humidity 55-65%
basking area of the current tortoise table 32-34 degrees, humidity 30-40%

I am considering the following alternatives:

Alternative #1 - 2 separate table for wet + dry area connected by a ramp 15cm (6") in height.
This is the idea I've been spending msot of my time on. I have made a 3D visualization for this method.
Wet & Dry Table 110 cm length x 60 cm width x 70 cm height (86" x 23" x 27.5")
Wet Table (Left)
- soil substrate depth 20-30cm (8-12") (thinking it would be ideal if the female starts laying eggs)
- floor height to lamp 35-40cm (15-19")
- timer for rain/misting system to keep the area humid
- top front window removable
- top cover removable for maintenance and ventillation
Dry Table (Right)
- coco husk depth less than 5cm
- base floor is slightly higher than 1st table
- floor height to lamp 50-55cm (20-21.5")
- no top cover
- fixed window (even though the render doesn't show the window)

Torto Table 1.jpg

Alternative #2 - 2 dry table
This idea is a simpler idea that I very much prefer since it will require less maintenance.
2x tables are connected by a doorway for a total 220 cm length x 60 cm width x 55 cm height (86" x 23" x 21.5")
Coco Husk substrate for the cool area with misting system to keep the area just slightly wet
No soil
Floor height to lamp 50cm

Alternative #3 - Vivarium/Terrarium
I initially do not consider this as an option due to the year round tropical weather at where I live. I'm afraid the vivarium/terrarium will get stuffy and grow unwanted mold and bacterias.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am open to ideas and suggestions since this will be their permanent indoor home for a while. I do have an

Alternative #4 which is to keep them outdoor in the balcony (no garden) and give them an open table there but I am concerned with heavy rain which would blow right into the table unless the table is high up on top of a table and coverable in case of severe weather. Then I will bring the tortoises indoor until the weather improves.

Attachments

• Torto Table 2.jpg
    Torto Table 2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Torto Table 3.jpg
    Torto Table 3.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Torto Table 4.jpg
    Torto Table 4.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 7
  • Torto Table 5.jpg
    Torto Table 5.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Torto Table 6.jpg
    Torto Table 6.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 8

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Best option is a large closed chamber. They like it hot and humid. Night temps should never drop below 27 and daytime highs should climb up to 32-32 each with a basking area that reaches 37 during the day.

Your climate doesn't matter. Indoor and under heat lamps everything will dry out. They do best with monsoon conditions. Warm and humid.

I would also make an outdoor enclosure for the balcony and let them be in that one some of the time during fair weather.

nfinitefx

Jakarta
Thanks for the reply!

For the outdoor enclosure, I can put them on the floors which is quite warm in the afternoon. Average temperature is 32 degrees with 60-80% humidity. Or will I need a table with substrate, etc?

As for the indoor, they do have areas up to 32 degrees at night but only around 35 degrees during the day. Are you saying that with an open table the humidity of 40-65% is not acceptable? I know that hatchlings require 80% and up humidity but do adults need it as well 24/7?

Thanks for your help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the reply!

For the outdoor enclosure, I can put them on the floors which is quite warm in the afternoon. Average temperature is 32 degrees with 60-80% humidity. Or will I need a table with substrate, etc?

As for the indoor, they do have areas up to 32 degrees at night but only around 35 degrees during the day. Are you saying that with an open table the humidity of 40-65% is not acceptable? I know that hatchlings require 80% and up humidity but do adults need it as well 24/7?

Thanks for your help!
I would rather have them up off the ground for the outdoor enclosure, but you make make a dedicated space on the floor work too if the temps are correct.

Areas up to 32 at night don't matter. What matter is that no area of the enclosure drops below 27.

The basking area directly under the bulb should reach 37. 35 isn't the end of the world, but they like it hot, and hot helps prevent sickness.

40-65% humidity is acceptable for an adult, but 80% is better. I don't think you'll be able to maintain 65% humidity in an indoor open topped table with heat lamps.

nfinitefx

Jakarta
I agree it's impossible to maintain 65% humidity in an indoor open topped table. And another thing causing issue is the air conditioning. So I turn on more heat lamps when the air conditioning is on. At least I'm still working from home now so I can manage the temperatures more hands on.

Does outdoor enclosure need heat lamps? If it does a concern is if heavy rain blows into the lamps. It rarely happens that the wind blows the rain 1.5 meters into the balcony but if it does, the rain water could hit the lamp even if the enclosure is off the ground.

nfinitefx

Jakarta
I have updated the design and it seems to be almost final. It's a semi closed enclosure. Not sure what to call it since it's neither a table or a vivarium or a terrarium. Top is removable for maintenance. Will have 2 exhaust fans (1 on the left and 1 on the right).

The front top part above the glass will be open permanently. I think this should be able to maintain the proper humidity even with the heat lamps.

Left table
- soil substrate up to 12"
- misting system
- T5 UVB Lamp
- do I need heat/basking lamp?
- fenced area for hatchling

Right table
- coco husk and rocks
- T5 UVB Lamp
- heat/basking lamp on the far right side

Attachments

• Torto Table 1.jpg