Tortoise Table

fishman007

5 Year Member
I am not sure if my last post ended up posting and it probably was in the wrong section anyway. I would like to have a 2' x 6' table and I am either going to built my own (cost effective) or purchase two Zoo Med Tortoise Tables and connect them. If I do build my own I have a few questions, I would like to have a wood cover and a screen cover. The wood for hiding and screen for the light to penetrate. For a screen cover would I be able to use chicken wire or a remesh sheet so my tortoise cannot escape. As well what kind of plastic could I use to line the table so the wood does not rot.
Would one of these work:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-10...heeting-RSHK3510-25C-U/100651793#.UmATGlCkrRx
or
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Total-Po...-Pond-Liner-PVC12005/202278976#specifications

Thank You Very Much

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
fishman007, the clear plastic, even a heavy gauge, will degrade in several months' use if you use any kind of UV light emitting tubes/bulbs for the enclosure.

The pond liner is no doubt a much heavier gauge (I did not read all that detail) and being black, UV will not penetrate and destroy the material.

Will

BTW, thanks for posting a clear and referenced question. If there was some sort thumbs up for individual posts you'd get mine on this one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The smaller the screen material, the less UVB gets through. Chicken wire would be ok, but it's not very strong.

fishman007

5 Year Member
My enclosure would either be 12" or 18" high, do you know any other materials for a screen like cover?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hardware cloth would be good. Any sturdy wire/galvanized wire product with openings more than a half inch.

fishman007

5 Year Member
or this one is better?
Blue Hawk 24-in x 10-ft Silver Galvanized Steel Hardware Cloth

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
The picture in my minds eye is missing why you want to put a screen lid on the enclosure at all. Keep other pets (cats/dogs) out with the enclosure being inside your home, or maybe children?

Is this going to be outside and the screen is to keep raccoons and other vermin out?

Some Home Depots carry a variety of hardwire cloth (cloth is what they call it). Large hole size 1 x 2 or 2 x 2 are good for the purposes listed, if just to keep the tortoise in, then larger would work.

I would go with an 18 inch high side. I like 16 to 20 inch sides for most smaller species/individuals if the top will be open or closed. No rational reason why. If space was not an issue, I would go higher, 30 inches, make them all front access, and then be able to set one on top of another.

Depends on what might best fit how you will work with animals in the future.

Will

fishman007

5 Year Member
Would an adult russian tortoise be able to live in a 2' x 6'? Would they try to escape it if the walls are 18" high?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
I bred a 2.3 group of Russians in a 8 x 3 stock tank, 2 foot walls. Depending on how many visual barriers you offer, and alternate resource access 2 water dishes, three hides, etc, I think that size could do OK with some 1.1 pairs but not others, even a 1.2. The problem is matching individuals that will do OK. Some just will never settle no matter what you do. If that's the case, then what to do with the outliers?

One will do fine in that space.

Will

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
I highly recommend using the Zoo Med enclosure. While it might not be right for every application for the price you can save time and materials monies depending on your goals (how long will you be using the enclosure, what type of tort, humidity, etc.) I have had great success with mine and I am very capable of building one from scratch. Prepped correctly they won't rot, mold, leak or otherwise cause issues.

As to the plastic liner I am not a fan of those as moisture can collect between the sheet and the wood causing mold and eventual rot (your results may vary).

Here is a thread on a Zoomed enclosure to give you an idea of what can be done. You don't have to go as far with some of the automated stuff but you can see that with a few cans of sealant and a thin sheet of plexiglass or lexan you can achieve what you are looking for around $125.