Tortoise / turtle identification

Dave Dela Rosa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San jose California
Hello! Recently got a tortoise / turtle from my pops boss. Any idea what type of tortoise / turtle it is?

Attachments

• IMG_0523.jpeg
    IMG_0523.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0520.jpeg
    IMG_0520.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0522.jpeg
    IMG_0522.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0521.jpeg
    IMG_0521.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0519.jpeg
    IMG_0519.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Looks like a female box turtle

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello! Recently got a tortoise / turtle from my pops boss. Any idea what type of tortoise / turtle it is?
Definitely a Box Turtle. I can't quite see the back feet clearly in the photos, but if each back foot has only three toenails, it is a Three-toed Box Turtle. If they have 4 toenails, it is probably an Ornate Box Turtle.

Box Turtles are omnivorous (will eat worms, bugs, lean meat, fish, fruits and veggies plus greens) and like it damp. Your substrate looks a bit dry for Box Turtles. They like to get into shallow water and soak to keep themselves hydrated. Do you have a water dish in its enclosure?

Dave Dela Rosa

5 Year Member
San jose California
Definitely a Box Turtle. I can't quite see the back feet clearly in the photos, but if each back foot has only three toenails, it is a Three-toed Box Turtle. If they have 4 toenails, it is probably an Ornate Box Turtle.

Box Turtles are omnivorous (will eat worms, bugs, lean meat, fish, fruits and veggies plus greens) and like it damp. Your substrate looks a bit dry for Box Turtles. They like to get into shallow water and soak to keep themselves hydrated. Do you have a water dish in its enclosure?
Hello! That was the temporary enclosure! It has a big dish to soak! Do they need to have a pool side of the enclosure or will the big dish suffice for water? Does it like to swim

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
That turtle was kept in too dry a home, glad to see you have her now.....

Box turtles LOVE being able to go for a soak several times as day as temps dictate. I saw Matilda(small 3yr box turtle) in twice this morning before 8 am! I'm just a hack here but the advice you got above if from real talent.....think "wet", not dry and you'll be in good shape. Also, they need 82-84F temps to digest their food, they don't have a heat engine like we do.

good luck!