Tortoise+Water Turtle Setup ideas

Gizmick

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have been tossing this idea up in the air, of trying to create 1 space for both my water turtle(Yellow Belly Slider) and my Leopard Tortoise. However I've been wrestling this idea if its even a good idea to mix waters(fish tank water from Slider as drinking water for Tortoise) and I cant come up with a plan to avoid the tortoise from drowning. Because obviously the Slider can come on land, but the tortoise can't swim at all.
Any ideas to make this happen? should it happen at all?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No way is that a good idea. Species should not be mixed and wanting a tortoise to drink dirty turtle water, well how does that even sound right? Let alone the diseases that could be passed or pathogens that one might have that the other would never come in contact with in the wild because the two would never cross paths.
In the wild when they come across water, it's either the only choice they have and it's likely fresh rain water or it's a lake larger then most anyone's ponds or aquariums.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Right. Wellington gave you good reasons not to try mixing them. Give each one his own space and his own special conditions of habitat, diet, lighting, substrate, etc.

Legaleased

OHIO
I have been tossing this idea up in the air, of trying to create 1 space for both my water turtle(Yellow Belly Slider) and my Leopard Tortoise. However I've been wrestling this idea if its even a good idea to mix waters(fish tank water from Slider as drinking water for Tortoise) and I cant come up with a plan to avoid the tortoise from drowning. Because obviously the Slider can come on land, but the tortoise can't swim at all.
No

passwordstaco

Chicago
I do this, but in separate containers but all in the same 10x10 grow tent. I really like the setup because the pond tank for the turtles helps keep the grow tent humid.

I do agree that you should not mix them and let them interact with each other, but I would highly recommend keeping them in the same "room".

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do this, but in separate containers but all in the same 10x10 grow tent. I really like the setup because the pond tank for the turtles helps keep the grow tent humid.

I do agree that you should not mix them and let them interact with each other, but I would highly recommend keeping them in the same "room".
Yes this can be done. Using same room to house them. Never same enclosure and never letting one drink the water the other one lives in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not a good idea in any way. Also, leopards can swim just fine.