tortoise worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Sorry for the scare longbeachskunk. Didn't mean to do that. I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about prolapses. Yes, it is pretty normal for the males to show of their stuff ( the flower shaped purple thing,is a penis,not a prolapse :))

aRym

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
KL, Malaysia
my tort had penile prolapse today. it took few day before the thing really popped out. it was a great surprised as i've been told by vet that my tort was a she.
my concern is.. his tail is swelling for almost a week already. is it normal? or should i take him to the vet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
aRym said:
my tort had penile prolapse today. it took few day before the thing really popped out. it was a great surprised as i've been told by vet that my tort was a she.
my concern is.. his tail is swelling for almost a week already. is it normal? or should i take him to the vet?

If your tortoise's penis has been out for almost a week NO, this is NOT normal. When a male discovers his "parts" he will put them out then in then out then in, playing with it until he becomes accustomed to it. But if it stays out longer than a few minutes, this is truly a prolapse and requires a trip to the vet. Keep it lubricated so it doesn't dry out. You can smear some Vaseline or antibiotic ointment on it to keep it moist.

Incidentally, sometimes females have parts that will prolapse, its not always a penis.

Yvonne

aRym

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
KL, Malaysia
emysemys said:
If your tortoise's penis has been out for almost a week NO, this is NOT normal. When a male discovers his "parts" he will put them out then in then out then in, playing with it until he becomes accustomed to it. But if it stays out longer than a few minutes, this is truly a prolapse and requires a trip to the vet. Keep it lubricated so it doesn't dry out. You can smear some Vaseline or antibiotic ointment on it to keep it moist.

Incidentally, sometimes females have parts that will prolapse, its not always a penis.

Yvonne

The thing will be sticking out while she/he is soaking, when she/he wanted to poo or urinates. Then she/he will put it in and out and in again - like you have posted before. But it stays out just a while, no longer than few minutes. I noticed this happen since last week.

Do the swollen tail related to the prolapse? The tail is swelling like there's a 'big ball' inside it. I'm planning to take x-ray of this tort and find out if the swollen tail related to impaction (or prolapse) due to bladder stone.

BTW, which females parts that will prolapse?

Status
Not open for further replies.