Tortoises all dead, trader joes cucumbers poisoned them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Like Edna stated, the only way we may ever know exactly what happened is to have a necropsy done. Very, very sorry to hear about the loss. I hope the others are ok.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Oh Rachael, I am soo soooo sorry! **HUGS** **HUGS** My heart is breaking for you. I wish there was something I could say or do. If you want or need to talk, I'm here for you! Hang in there...

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I am very surprised to hear this. I'm sorry about your tortoises. Do you think it came from the spring mix or the cucumbers? I wonder if both of these products are organic, if so then it could be a bacterial infection.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Wow, I know it must be hard...Which tortoises died? I read one of the CDT's...which one? Did both of your Texas DT's die? Hmmm...Ive feed my tortoises cucumbers in the past too... I feed my Leopards Costco's Spring Mix...I never wash it. Do you think the sudden change in weather was also a factor? My big leopard is indoors until the weather clears up. The weather in So Cal has been unpredictable lately.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
My condolences on your terrible loss. There has to be some common thread given the time frame. Bacteria would typically take longer to hit like this. A toxin could go either way, depending on the toxin, amount, and duration of exposure.

My perspective differs on inducing a change in temperature. Lowering the temperature may reduce the rate of replication if a bacterium is involved, but it may also negatively impact immune system function. Additionally, if there is a toxin to be metabolized, assuming it is one that is capable of being metabolized, then metabolism would be negatively impacted by a lowered temperature. I would listen to the vet as well as give lots of warm soaks.

I hope you can salvage the best of a bad situation. I lost a key tortoise to a preventable poisoning once and I still am bothered by the event to some degree.

HarleyK said:
I am very surprised to hear this. I'm sorry about your tortoises. Do you think it came from the spring mix or the cucumbers? I wonder if both of these products are organic, if so then it could be a bacterial infection.

"Organic" status doesn't really play into the probability of a bacterial infection.

S

Scooter

Rachael, I am so sorry to hear this. I am wishing your remaining torts the best please keep us updated on them.

rachaell

5 Year Member
One CDT and both TTs.

I feel completely gutted. The Other CDT babies were asleep when we found them ( in their holes) so theres a chance they didnt wake up yet to ingest the cucs.

Its not the spring mix, I buy that from costco and have been feeding it all week. Daily.

I also dont think the weather had anything to do with it.. the TTs are kept under such conditions that it could never have effected them. ie: I watch them like a hawk.

I got the cucs yesterday, cut it up this morning and then they began to drop like flies.
The russians ate the cucs... but Im not seeing them having an issue.

Im thinking because the TTs are so small and the CDTs are so sick they were the ones to go.

both foods are organic. I am open to it being from something else but I just cant help but blame the cucs as they are the ONLY thing that had changed.

I called TJs and the Cuc company itself both said they were oganic, no pestisides.

I dont mind doing the nercopsy, its just the last thing on my mind right now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm still totally shocked by all this. I really want to know what happened. I'd like to suggest a necropsy fund. I'll start by donating $20. I'll Pm you for a mailing address.

I hate to have to say it, but keep the bodies in the fridge, NOT the freezer, until necropsy. Freezing can damage the cells to the point of making the whole necropsy inconclusive.

... again, so sorry to hear this... ugh...

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I am really sorry to hear about your loss.I also feed my torts cucumber and zuch. and I have never had any problems in all these years.I am really sorry.....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh Rachael! I'm so, so devastated by this news. When I saw your subject line I didn't want to open it and read it. I hate that this happened.

Please wrap the bodies in a moist paper towel and put them into a baggie and seal it tight. Place it in the refrigerator. (They'll only need to necropsy one of them, but take them all in case they're so small that they need more stomachs to get enough contents) Call your vet and ask where is the lab that does full necropsies and take the bodies to the lab as soon as you can. I will also contribute a few bucks towards the cause. It will ease your mind and maybe save the other tortoises to know what killed them. It might be something totally unrelated to food. Was the CDT baby ever in contact with the TTs?

I know you feel awful. this is a terrible thing.

(The old lady who gives me the Texas babies every year has asked me to take in her adult tortoises as she's getting too infirm to care for them anymore. So whenever you're ready, I think I may have more TTs for you)

TebowHammer

5 Year Member
Georgia
I know this doesn't change anything Rachael, but I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through right now. Trust that you're in my thoughts and prayers.

efciv

10 Year Member!
Calimesa, CA
So sorry. I will PM you also to donate, as the test results could help us all.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
What a nightmare :( I'm so sorry girl. I can't even imagine...
Let us know if you'd like help paying for a necropsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.