Tortoises and Colours!?

MyTortoise

This is a strange question but do tortoises get startled or confused by bright colours? I just wondered. :)

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
it is very possible. I have a green rake that I use to stir up coco coir in my torts enclosure and he will come running at it and smell all over it then try to take a bite like its a cactus or a plant, it happends every single time! so I would say yes they can get confused and possibly startled by different colors.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I've seen tortoises confused by brightly colored dishes (i.e. for feeding). By confusion I mean they try and nibble on the plate lol

They're attracted to red/orange in my experience

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i don't know about startled but they do recognize colors....green, red and white in my experience. my tortoise comes running when she sees her food dish....it could be the shape or maybe because it's red.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine seem to try to eat or at least won't leave it alone anything that's white. My remote thermometer gauge that I have in my leopards enclosure is white. I have it on the floor so I can read the temps at his level. Every day I have to clean it off and put it back. He just won't leave it alone. I finally got tired of it and raised it to about head level, he hasn't been able to get to it yet, or hasn't seen it yet. They don't seem to get attracted to red as much as I have heard others do. I have the leopard and Russian. Both like white more.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I have noticed my ornate likes white things. The lighter it is, the more interesting she finds it. She bites at the cricket tongs because they are silver with white tips.

My Leo hatchlings will practically maul anything purple or purple-pink. They are attracted to white as well. They are extremely interested in my rings. They are both silver toned (sterling silver on my thumb and white gold on my wedding ring) they will all bite at it. Oh and they are obviously attracted to green.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have not seen this in my tortoises . I have seen it in frogs and lizards. We would hook bullfrogs with hooks with red rags on them for bait. When my lizards would not eat I would feed it something red he could not help to eat it .

the_dude_abides

Aleister will go after anything green. My wife had him on her lap, and her pajama pants have little colored snowflake shaped designs on them. We both looked down and he was trying to eat the designs, but only the green ones. So cute.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Pokeymeg said:
I've seen tortoises confused by brightly colored dishes (i.e. for feeding). By confusion I mean they try and nibble on the plate lol

They're attracted to red/orange in my experience

Red/orange translates as "seriously yummy" to most, if not all, tortoises! :cool:

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
Lucy will go after anything bright. I never let her eat anything that isn't food, no matter how hard she tries!

Attachments

• 1389576369413.jpg
    1389576369413.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 1389576406924.jpg
    1389576406924.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 1389576450009.jpg
    1389576450009.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 27