Tortoises and lights

Location (City and/or State)
Palistine
Hello I have a little baby tortoise who lives inside my house so she could stay warm during weathers like this and we typically stay up till 10-11 pm and wake up at 6 so there isn't much time during the night and lights stay on. So I was wondering that if it's any harm for my tortoise that she isn't getting much sleep? Or could she be bothered by the lights

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There should be no light at night. Use a ceramic heat emitter for night heat. Get a large dome ceramic socket fixture and a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter.
What species of tortoise do you have?
What type of enclosure do you use? All babies should be in a closed chamber enclosure with high humidity.
What type of lighting and heating are you using?
What kind of substrate?
What's the diet?
Post pictures and we can help you get it right if it isn't.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello I have a little baby tortoise who lives inside my house so she could stay warm during weathers like this and we typically stay up till 10-11 pm and wake up at 6 so there isn't much time during the night and lights stay on. So I was wondering that if it's any harm for my tortoise that she isn't getting much sleep? Or could she be bothered by the lights
The lights should be on timers and turn off at night.

Do you have a Testudo species?

There is a temperate species care sheet at the bottom of this and more care info throughout:

Palistine
The lights should be on timers and turn off at night.

Do you have a Testudo species?

There is a temperate species care sheet at the bottom of this and more care info throughout:
Lights turn on at night but only for six hours and I read that baby tortoises should sleep from 12-22 hours. And she doesn't have hiding places just yet

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lights turn on at night but only for six hours and I read that baby tortoises should sleep from 12-22 hours. And she doesn't have hiding places just yet
The tortoise needs a day/night cycle of around 12/12. You can go 14/10 in the winter if you are trying to not let the tortoise brumate, or you can go 10/14 in fall if you are trying to brumate the tortoise. In any case, lights should not be on for 6 hours at night. It needs to be dark at night and brightly lit during the day.

They will sleep during the day when the lights are on sometimes too, so don't worry too much about that.

Hiding places are essential and easy to provide. I would see to that immediately.