Torts and kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
I haven't been on for a while, and am feeling so much like a bad parent in more ways than one.

I rescued our russian "Ted" (from someone who was ready to release him into the wild), as a gift to my son. I am very much against releasing non native animals into the wild for obvious reasons and that is why this is so ironic. I built a temp outdoor enclosure for Ted so that he could get some sun. My son loved that tort an enjoyed watching him do tort like things when he was active. As you know, I built a very nice indoor enclosure for him (pictures are in the enclosure thread), and he was happy. My son took him outside one afternoon and let him wander around the yard outside of the temp enclosure. Sadly he got distracted and left Ted unattended for about 20 minutes. It was at least another 20 minutes before he told us he lost him. We searched to no avail, and continued searching for several days.

I want to get another tort but, I just don't feel like I was responsible enough to Ted. Should I try again or just accept defeat?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
If it were me, I'd be prepared to get another tortoise if I wanted one, but I'd set some clear ground rules - the tortoise can't go outside without an adult, for example.

One mistake needn't haunt anyone for a lifetime, as saddening as it is. It's an opportunity to learn and to teach. Of course, if it happens a second time it's probably time to call it a day!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would get another one and like Cheryl said, set a few ground rules. One of those should be that the tortoise has to be inside of its enclosure when outside.

Good luck with what ever you decide and sorry Ted decided to go on an adventure....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So you lost him within his outside enclosure? First off, don't give up on finding him. Tortoises have been found long after they have gotten lost. So what happens if you get a new one and then find Ted?

As for you being a bad parent, you don't qualify for that status. Things happen and unfortunately, a lot of learning is at the cost of something bad having happened to us.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
Thanks all, Ted's indoor enclosure is large enough to harbor two torts, so if we found him it would not be difficult to have two. I would just have to put in a separator wall. My son had the responsibility to take care of him outside, he let him wander outside of the temp outdoor enclosure (he is fourteen). I told him if I decided to get a new russian, it would be mine and I would maintain responsibility. He could earn trust back slowly but he would never be able to let it run loose outside of its enclosures for any reason what so ever. I hate learning in such a way that an animal has to suffer as a result.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Darren:

I very much doubt that Ted is suffering. I'd be willing to bet that he's dug down into the dirt. What kind of weather are you having now? Are the days getting shorter and the nights cooler? If you get down on your hands and knees and go over every inch of the outside habitat, you'll find a spot of loose dirt. And if you dig down into the dirt, chances are good you'll find Ted. Is it possible that he has climbed over the walls of his outdoor habitat?

Don't beat yourself up over this (or your son either). Tortoises have a way of lulling you into a false sense of security. When you least expect it, they just magically disappear. They also have open gate radar. A tortoise can be clear on the other side of the yard from the gate, but leave the gate open, and he'll make a bee line for it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey, everyone makes mistakes. Anyone who has been keeping animals a while will have a story like yours to share. This is why I am so outspoken to newbies about building a proper enclosure and not just turning them loose in the yard. I am motivated by GUILT. I am not high and mighty looking down on people. I FAILED in the past and I try to help others avoid the shame, suffering and guilt of the same preventable failure. When I was a boy I lost the same box turtle several times. At least YOU are more responsible than my parents were about it. Just learn from it and let your son learn from it too.

I think Yvonne is right too. I'm sure he's fine where ever he is. Most of the time they turn up again. I always found my box turtle. They can survive outdoors anywhere in the continental US, even over winter, so even if you don't find him before winter, he might turn up in the spring. Keep looking and put up some fliers around the neighborhood.

Whether you decide to get another one is a very personal decision. I see no reason why you shouldn't.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Agree with the above. If you can accommodate 2 torts (if you find him), then look into a rescue site or craigslist for a tort looking for a home.
Meanwhile, it could happen to any of us...

Status
Not open for further replies.