Torty's free! and strong with Mazuri diet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Got Torty's poop tested again this morning after his 3rd dose of Panacure, each dose is split in two courses over two weeks so in his second dose, he only had like a few worm eggs left, when I first had his poop tested, it had like a dozen worm eggs. Gave him his 3rd dose over the past two weeks and this morning did the poop test, the Doc rang me just an hour ago giving me the good news, NO eggs, no worms whatsoever. This whole process took nearly 2 months to get rid of all the worms but it was well worth the wait and process. Now I am just going to do a fortnight maintainence with grinded pumpkin seeds in his Mazuri diet. The Mazuri diet is great! He is now weighing in at around 90-95grams and seems much healthier. WhenI first got him 3 months back, he was about 80-85 grams. Thats a good 10-15% gain in weight. His length is nearly 3 inches. I feed him Mazuri everyday and maybe once a week with hibiscus.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Congratulations on Torty's full recovery! :D

How about posting some photos of your little strongtort lifting weights to show off his new, bulked-up physique? ;)

samstar

5 Year Member
Stephanie Logan said:
Congratulations on Torty's full recovery! :D

How about posting some photos of your little strongtort lifting weights to show off his new, bulked-up physique? ;)

Thanks! I'll probbaly post some photos later part of today. Only I just ordered his new Habba hut and reptile carpet so rather take photos when all are in and propoerly setup.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yay for the good news! We've fought off pin worms and coccidia with Trevor and I agree parasites are a pain.

What led you to want to feed Mazuri everyday? Not too many have made that choice so I am intrigued. If there were some changed made to it (no Molasses or vitamins) I would feel better about feeding it more. I am not comfortable with vitamin supplements and prefer the natural stuff. So, TNT is only fed as 1/3 of a meal once a week at my place (so he has a taste of it for emergencies).

samstar

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Yay for the good news! We've fought off pin worms and coccidia with Trevor and I agree parasites are a pain.

What led you to want to feed Mazuri everyday? Not too many have made that choice so I am intrigued. If there were some changed made to it (no Molasses or vitamins) I would feel better about feeding it more. I am not comfortable with vitamin supplements and prefer the natural stuff. So, TNT is only fed as 1/3 of a meal once a week at my place (so he has a taste of it for emergencies).

Well Mazuri does contain a lot of nutrients(not all but a lot) and it has been proven by Ed, it has worked for the Zoos so I dont see why it should not work for me. Also with the Mazuri, Torty seems more healthy, more lively. However I do give him lettuce or hibiscus(which he loves) once every 7-10 days. I also do add calcium powder to his diet every other day. He usually eats 1-2 pellets a day which is about right for his size. Oh yes I forgot to add, he does graze on my pesticide free garden once every few days under natural sunlight.
so his diet consist of:
-Mazuri 6 days a week
-Lettuce or Hibiscus flower 1 day a week
-Grazing in garden once every few days

Soaking every other day in luke warm water for 10 minutes. 6-7 hours of UVB/UVA (120w megaray mvb). I dont need to leave it on longer like most of you'll do as where I live the temps range between 27-34c everyday of the year and humidity between 70-90% everyday of the year. With the lamp on longer, the enclosure gets warmer and more dry. his enclosure is in my patio which is open air and some natural light does get in. the only thing I am a little concerned about is that Torty sleeps all day, if he's nto sleeping, he's eating, is this normal for juvenile Stars? He's about a year and a half in age.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
As for the sleeping, my opinion is that as long as he is up and about everyday basking, eating, a little walking, etc, it is normal to sleep a lot. He should be getting to the age however that you should see an increase in the amount of activity and sleeping a bit less. If he ever starts slowing down, that is when you need to examine what is going on. As long as this is the same as it has been or more active, then it sounds fine from what you say. It is possible he is sleeping too much as well if he is too warm (although warm temps seem to increase activity in the short term I would imagine they would do the opposite in the long term). See below.

If the MVB is heating up the enclosure too much, with him grazing every few days outside, you really don't need the bulb. 27 (80 F) to 34 (94 F) is a good range so if the bulb is heating it up more than that, I would actually do without if Torty is in fact getting outside at least every other or every third day for a bit. Torts can get dehydrated and have other issues with too much heat and not having a chance to cool down. I'd rather you had an area that was in the 70s F for him (22 to 26 C) in addition to the range you mention in the 80s and up to 95 F, but I imagine with a warm house it much be tough to have any type of gradient available. Does he have water in the enclosure that is easily accessible?

Not many people have decided to do 90%+ Mazuri, but of course you should do what you think is right for your tort. I just happen to disagree.

Best wishes.

Malaefic

5 Year Member
I have problems getting my young ones to eat Mazuri
I find that they do get less problems if their diet is supplemented with Mazuri
The mixture with their fav foods don't seem to be working
These 2 are super finicky

samstar

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
As for the sleeping, my opinion is that as long as he is up and about everyday basking, eating, a little walking, etc, it is normal to sleep a lot. He should be getting to the age however that you should see an increase in the amount of activity and sleeping a bit less. If he ever starts slowing down, that is when you need to examine what is going on. As long as this is the same as it has been or more active, then it sounds fine from what you say. It is possible he is sleeping too much as well if he is too warm (although warm temps seem to increase activity in the short term I would imagine they would do the opposite in the long term). See below.

If the MVB is heating up the enclosure too much, with him grazing every few days outside, you really don't need the bulb. 27 (80 F) to 34 (94 F) is a good range so if the bulb is heating it up more than that, I would actually do without if Torty is in fact getting outside at least every other or every third day for a bit. Torts can get dehydrated and have other issues with too much heat and not having a chance to cool down. I'd rather you had an area that was in the 70s F for him (22 to 26 C) in addition to the range you mention in the 80s and up to 95 F, but I imagine with a warm house it much be tough to have any type of gradient available. Does he have water in the enclosure that is easily accessible?

Not many people have decided to do 90%+ Mazuri, but of course you should do what you think is right for your tort. I just happen to disagree.

Best wishes.

The temps in my region range between 26-34c throughout the year and occasionally it goes down to 24c when it rains more during Nov/Dec. He only gets sunlight when I let him graze every couple of days. For example yesterday, the temp was 31-33c during the day and 26-27c at night. Maybe I will just leave the mvb on from 8am to 3pm. Dont want him cooking in there. However the mvb is placed at one end of his hut and fake plant on the other end of his 4 feet enclosure. Yes there is a big dish for him to soak himself which I have seen him do. I also do use the plant sprayer on him occasioanlly.

Malaefic said:
I have problems getting my young ones to eat Mazuri
I find that they do get less problems if their diet is supplemented with Mazuri
The mixture with their fav foods don't seem to be working
These 2 are super finicky

what I did was cut down on the salads and increased the Mazuri but it took maybe a couple of days for him to get hooked on to it. The thing is, when he was delivered to me, he must have been very hungry from his journey and god knows how they must have taken care of him in the petshop, he is wild caught. So he must have been very hungry to begin with and I right away got him started with Mazuri. Being so hungry, he ate all the Mazuri. Beggars cant be choosers :cool:

samstar

5 Year Member
spikethebest said:
glad the Mazuri is working out so well. for both as a diet, and to help with the meds. congrats! :)

Thanks! Now I'm thinking of another Star but I will quarantine first, still deciding.

Homerist

10 Year Member!
Hi samstar,

where do you get the reptile carpet and the mazuri?
btw we are from the same place if i'm not wrong. =)

i have one star, less than 2months, SCL - 5cm.

very active throughout of the day, pacing around in his enclosure, sleeps around 10+hrs, from 9pm to 7am the next morning when i get up to work. during the afternoon my mum will put my star out in the balcony for sunbathing ahahah for around 15mins. (with shade and water dish)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
SIGH!

I would be so happy if Taco relished her Mazuri. I give her one pellet (softened) a day, and she does end up eating some since I mix all her food up so thoroughly, but I don't see her picking it out of the pile with exceptional interest. I might try excluding everything but the Mazuri tomorrow and see what happens... :rolleyes:

samstar

5 Year Member
Homerist said:
Hi samstar,

where do you get the reptile carpet and the mazuri?
btw we are from the same place if i'm not wrong. =)

i have one star, less than 2months, SCL - 5cm.

very active throughout of the day, pacing around in his enclosure, sleeps around 10+hrs, from 9pm to 7am the next morning when i get up to work. during the afternoon my mum will put my star out in the balcony for sunbathing ahahah for around 15mins. (with shade and water dish)

Send me a PM

Starry night

5 Year Member
Feeding only Mazuri sounds very unhealthy for the animal. Of course it will begin to gain weight because that is almost like a junk food everyday. You should try getting the animal on a more mixed diet which includes more greens and grasses.

samstar

5 Year Member
Starry night said:
Feeding only Mazuri sounds very unhealthy for the animal. Of course it will begin to gain weight because that is almost like a junk food everyday. You should try getting the animal on a more mixed diet which includes more greens and grasses.

It worked for Ed and it worked for the Zoos, I dont see why it should not work for me. I'm sure your correct but Mazuri has been around for a good 15 years, it has been tested and it has worked. Yes giving natural food is also good but my schedule is such that Mazuri works best for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.