Worms?

Ida K

Hi everyone,
I have had Ollie for about 6 months now. Today during his soak, I saw some white worm-shaped things in his poop. I am currently transitioning him to Mazuri LS diet so I am feeding him baby kale and a bit of romaine (his favorite treat) to entice him, therefore his poop is loose. Is this worms? I have found a 5-star exotic animal vet only 10 minutes away and I am prepared to take him if it is worms. There isn't really a change in his diet, if anything his pickiness has improved.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Id go to the vet, just in case :) But thats just me!

Ida K

Without a pic it's hard too say. If you see them again, take a pic.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410714104.448172.jpg
i circled them. not sure if these are fibers from food or not. i will, however go to the vet anyways to be safe. how do i collect a fecal sample? do i put it in a bag and refrigerate until i take ollie?

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Your right. They look like worms. If you watch closely they should move around. Bag up a sample and take it to a vet. You'll just need to get the tort on a dewormer. Don't worry. It's good you caught it before it got too bad:)

Ida K

Your right. They look like worms. If you watch closely they should move around. Bag up a sample and take it to a vet. You'll just need to get the tort on a dewormer. Don't worry. It's good you caught it before it got too bad:)
Thank you! Called up the vet and got some prices today. it's quite expensive so i'm just going to order some panacur on Amazon. however if it was worse I would've taken him in. Thank you again for your advice :)

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
[QUOTthing.a K, post: 9448deaber: 40022"]Thank you! Called up the vet and got some prices today. it's quite expensiveing to order panacur taken him in. Thank you again for your advice :)[/QUOTE]
Sure thing:) I think your dealing with a mild case of pin caworms. Panacur or Safeguard should do the trick!! Good luck! Let us know if you have any trouble administrating...Im sure some of us have some interesting
tricks up our sleeves that we can share;)

Ida K

got ollie tested today and surprisingly, he came out negative! i took some nice solid poops for them to do the fecal with. (at the time of the photo he was transitioning to some other foods, and we were using romaine hearts to tempt him). thanks for the help!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Some times you have to get them tested more than once .