Worms!

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
One of my torts had some three inch long worms in his poop! Gross! They looked like translucent earth worms. I am going to take him to the vet this week.

Two things

Can I do anything over the counter in the mean time?

Should the vet treat all of my torts...just in case?

Thanks for any help!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've been giving my torts a once a month treatment with diatomacious earth in their food. I've researched it quite a bit. It's used as a safe De wormer in every thing from birds to humans. (ONLY the "food grade" type) look and read on the web. Others will agree or disagree.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Guys let try and stay on topic please. Pumpkin seeds ground up are supposed to be a de wormer, I would try the DE method, couldn't hurt.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Can't find worms in the feces anymore, but he went to the vet today. He took a fresh sample and I'll wait to see the results. He gave Junior a treatment of Panacur.
Why on earth did your vet give your tortoise Panacur when a current sample was clean? I mean I get a third treatment to finish up but…

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
He took the sample, but didn't run it while I was there. I don't know it the sample was clean....I just didn't see any worms in it.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Turns out my tort has pin worms and lung flukes...gross. got to bring all in for a worming.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He took the sample, but didn't run it while I was there. I don't know it the sample was clean....I just didn't see any worms in it.

You don't see worms normally in the poop. What the vet looks for under the 'scope is worm eggs.