Translucent Scute Growth

Pbooth1

Hello all, new member here.

This post will function to serve two purposes. The first being to introduce myself and my little fella, Pistachio. My girlfriend has an obsession with tortoises/turtles, and was really excited to find me building her a tortoise table last year just before her birthday. She did the legwork and found a local seller that had a pretty sizable collection. Pistachio was purchased last July, his previous owner stated that he (she) and his siblings were all around 2 years old at the time of purchase. The previous owner's website http://drtorres.webs.com/ can be found in the link provided. If memory serves right he is a professor of microbiology at The University of California, Davis, and has quite a few tortoises for sale at all times, which he assured me were all captive bred. When I visited him he had a variety of Aldabras, Indian Stars, Radiated, Greeks, Russians, Hermanns, Leopards, and quite a few more inside of his house (Did not go inside). I would definitely recommend him to anyone looking to purchase in the Northern California Area.

My girlfriend is a bit lazy/forgetful/spoiled, and I have since become his primary caretaker (which I don't mind one bit). I recently noticed that Pistachio has begun to develop translucent shell growth on the scutes near his tail. I do understand that a full grown tortoise and a juvenile tortoise do look a bit different, so I have assumed that this shell growth is just normal transition into adulthood, however I was just a bit worried about how much shell is actually transparent, as it does appear to be quite a bit.

Pistachio is about 3.25" if that matters.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post and help ease my mind a bit.

Peter

Attachments

• DSC_0549.JPG
    9.8 MB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0552.JPG
    9.7 MB · Views: 57

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Pbooth1

Thank you Tom. Definitely good to know that he's well (at least in that regard).

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Very lovely photo of your Russian! Adorable face and beautiful eyes! :D

turdle yerdle

IL
Your tortoise is young and looks normal to me, he is just growing.

Pbooth1

I suppose he is pretty photogenic. Good to know he's looking real healthy.