Treats

missjmg19

Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Atlantic USA
I know that zucchini and cantaloupe are okay for occasional treats, as are carrots (if I am wrong, PLEASE correct me!). By occasional, can they have one of these things weekly or should it be less frequent than that?

Also, do we cut it up into small chunks or what is best way to offer it? I made zucchini for dinner tonight and have some raw pieces left. We've had our little guy for a full week now and he is eating well, but no treats yet!

Thanks!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
What kind of tort do you have ?
And remember in the wild all they eat are weeds and flowers , so store bought greens are treats .

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think more in terms of quantity than frequency. As long as the bulk of the diet is weeds, grass, etc I wouldn't worry.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
What kind of tort do you have ?
And remember in the wild all they eat are weeds and flowers , so store bought greens are treats .

He is a 5 year old Russian Tortoise. Not a lot of weeds around here, so I've been purchasing bags of organic leaves that were recommonded here on the forum (endive, kale, radicchio, spring mix, etc). Also bought dandelion weeds since it's past time of year where I will find dandelions. He has lived in captivity his whole life so he is used to this...... almost 5 years with a family who I believe fed him lots of romaine, so we have tried to move to stuff that is listed here as being more nutritious for him. We just rescued him a week ago.

With the zucchini......do I cut it in small chunks or just stick a big piece in there?

Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Treats once to twice a month. no real need to cut them up you can throw big chunks in there and he can cut them himself it's good exercise for them

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Give him a little treat!
You all deserve it!
No need to give treats at all, of course, but I think most of us do it occasionally.
Up to you, chuck it in or cut it up, he'll love it all the same.:)

Kasia

Poland
I know that zucchini and cantaloupe are okay for occasional treats, as are carrots (if I am wrong, PLEASE correct me!). By occasional, can they have one of these things weekly or should it be less frequent than that?

Also, do we cut it up into small chunks or what is best way to offer it? I made zucchini for dinner tonight and have some raw pieces left. We've had our little guy for a full week now and he is eating well, but no treats yet!

Thanks!
Actually if you have a nice varied diet he will not need treats. You get to know him and see what he likes from the healthy things. Mine likes dandilione flowers, chicory and radaccio you can use those things as treats. Extra suger is not what he needs, once monthly you can trow in something high in suger like an apple slice or watermelon but in a long run some weeds and shell rubs will work as good;)

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Actually if you have a nice varied diet he will not need treats. You get to know him and see what he likes from the healthy things, mine likes dandilione flowers, chicory and radaccio. And you can use those things as treats. Extra suger is not what he needs, once monthly you can trow in something high in suger like an apple slice or watermelon

Thanks! We are using spring mix which is mixed leafy greens including radiccio and endive. Then, I throw in some kale and dandelion (he seems to like the dandelion best!).

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Treats once to twice a month. no real need to cut them up you can throw big chunks in there and he can cut them himself it's good exercise for them
Hmm

Cantaloupe is in the forbidden fruits section of a Russian 's diet as they cannot digest sugars properly- they cause digestive and kidney problems. As with all sweet foods - eg fruit, tomato, bell pepper & carrot - feed very sparingly and very occasionally. That does not mean throwing in big chunks.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Hmm

Cantaloupe is in the forbidden fruits section of a Russian 's diet as they cannot digest sugars properly- they cause digestive and kidney problems. As with all sweet foods - eg fruit, tomato, bell pepper & carrot - feed very sparingly and very occasionally. That does not mean throwing in big chunks.
ideally your tortoise's diet should not be no more than 5% fruits and vegetables. that will of course vary on your tortoise's sizes and how much they eat. big chunks small chunks, it's all semantics in the end. and most vegetables are lower in sugar then fruit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Personally, I skip treats in favor of feeding a good diet with lots of variety. I use occasional rose, gazania, lavatera or hibiscus flowers as "treats".

I don't think there is any harm in feeding a little cucumber or other squash once in a while. I just avoid the sugary things. My torts get whole pumpkins every fall/winter in addition to lots of grass, grass hay and weeds.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Personally, I skip treats in favor of feeding a good diet with lots of variety. I use occasional rose, gazania, lavatera or hibiscus flowers as "treats".

I don't think there is any harm in feeding a little cucumber or other squash once in a while. I just avoid the sugary things. My torts get whole pumpkins every fall/winter in addition to lots of grass, grass hay and weeds.

Thanks Tom. My concern continues to be: is there a safe way to wash things to ensure that they are safe for eating? Other than what grows in my own yard, I have no idea whether there are pesticides. For example: I'm on east coast so things like hibiscus are annuals when grown outdoors. I buy them at nursery so I know that in all liklihood there are pesticides that have been used. Does washing them/ rinsing them remove the toxin or will they still be unsafe?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks Tom. My concern continues to be: is there a safe way to wash things to ensure that they are safe for eating? Other than what grows in my own yard, I have no idea whether there are pesticides. For example: I'm on east coast so things like hibiscus are annuals when grown outdoors. I buy them at nursery so I know that in all liklihood there are pesticides that have been used. Does washing them/ rinsing them remove the toxin or will they still be unsafe?
Don't feed anything that may have pesticides on.
It is not safe just to wash them off.
Nursery flowers are often not safe. Not worth the risk.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
it's not the pesticides on them it's systemic pesticides in them that you have to worry about. I read about those a few years ago and it scared me to death. I don't need anything I don't grow myself or that I don't absolutely know is safe. there are organic nurseries around but they're very hard to find and they're very very expensive.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Can you grow your own weeds? I grow them on my balcony in bins, away from the yard.