Tree/bush climbing hingeback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
A while back I posted pictures of my new hingeback enclosure I had fixed from an old turtle enclosure. In it was what was once a weeping willow tree, which thru the years we kept cutting it down til it's more of a bush with an old stump base. I love the stump and so we kept it in the new enclosure. As the days have passed, it has once more grown out.

This is how it looked a few weeks back, as we started working on the enclosure.
129.jpg

The current tree/bush.
127-1.jpg

As I walked past it the other day I noticed this...
123.jpg

So I stopped for a doubletake.
124-1.jpg

Yep, that's a male Homes up on top of the old stump. The stump is a good 8-10" off the ground. I have a tree hugger!:p:D I does have curves, bends, angles, and a rough surface which helps. :cool:

Since that day, the same male has been there many times. At first I found him on his back where he fell off, but after the second time of that, he seems to have mastered either getting down or righting himself immediately. He has since been named Tarzan. :D

I thought this might help a few new to hingebacks to see we are not kidding, when we warn they love climbing and are good at it.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Jacqui it's realy something how a good stump/root with life can grow so full and quickly!

YEP.. those Kinixys are amazing how they can climb. Great pics!

Another example of their climbing abilities:

Earlier this year I made major changes on the K. erosa enclosure.. changing from vinyl siding walls to 17" high ( exterior wall ) panels from carpenter friends.

"This 10" wall ain't nuthin'....." -

1KeCLIMBER1.jpg

"What's goin' on out there....."? -

1KeCLIMBER2.jpg

"OOOOOOPS.. I didnt kno that fence wuz there......" -

1KeCLIMBER3.jpg

Thanks for the prompt Jacqui!
GRIN.gif

NERD

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hahahaha!

GREAT photos, guys! That is just too funny, the concept of tortoises climbing up on stumps...and straight up the wall like that! It doesn't seem like they'd be able to get the necessary traction, but clearly they do! :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Haha. Great pics all around. I like the heads on these guys. The eyes seem very intelligent.

EarthUponWater

5 Year Member
I wanted to add my two cents. When I first had my tort shipped, I left her in the box while I set up her temporary cage. I was busy setting up the cage when I heard this soft banging/bumping. She'd climbed six inches up and was on the corner of the box about ready to topple off. She would have fallen a good three feet and become a shell-less tort. Thank goodness for cats. They were freaking out at the noise.

I guess I get to see how much my tort really does like to climb. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.