Trevor photos & update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hi everyone--long time no Trevor update. So here he is, a couple months shy of his 2nd birthday. The enclosure photo shows most of his enclosure except a bit below the camera--hoping to upgrade him in the next year from 8 sq ft to 16 sq ft. I found a cool stock tank that is 8 ft by 2 ft (right now we have about 5.5 ft by 1.5 ft) and about the same height as what we have now, so it could actually fit on the same dining room buffet except it would hang off instead of being an exact fit (we built the tort table custom to the cabinet, which holds all his supplies), and then later on we want to move him to his own room when we get a bigger place.

I rearrange the cage furnishings every month or few, and have some drift wood, log hide, and a few other plants I swap out. This was a test of giving him some open space to see if he likes it (verdict is no, he spends all his time in the warm spot in the hay), and putting the water dish in the corner since when in the middle he is getting too wide to safely turn around without falling in. At first I couldn't put it against a wall as he thought he was small enough to walk on the lip of it! We also need to get a new water dish soon. Sadly he's almost outgrown the largest Groovy Jacuzzi size. I'm thinking of a plant saucer or paint tray. He still has no idea what to do with the bucket hide, so that will be taken out soon. He likes to cuddle up against the outside wall of it!

We're leaning towards girl for him, lol, so I see larger enclosures in our future. He does do the cutest tail wag and hold it to the side though. No, we wouldn't change his name and likely wouldn't even call him a her. :)

About 96 mm (3.8 inches) and 267 grams. He's a bit on the chubby side! It's cool to see torts in pet shops and such now, and have him be almost as big as them--they grow up so fast!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I can't believe how big he is!! He looks bigger in the pictures than just 3.8" though!
I can't wait for Nelson to get big :)

He's adorable! I love all the yellow on his carapace. What a good looking little guy!
I think Nelson is a girl too, but I can't get myself to refer to him as a "she" ;)

Where did you find the stock tank? Sounds like something I want for Nelson...
I want that water dish for Nelson!! Where did you get it?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
OMG, I had to click on each photo to see it full-sized. :p

Trevor could have been called Freckles, hunh? What a cute-colored shell she has! :D

She and Nelson should start dating! Think of how expressive those future hatchling faces would be! ;)

Just FYI, Taco was too big for the XL Groovy Jacuzzi, too, so Katie you may want to choose a different option. They need to make a bigger walk-in tortoise pool for sure (though plant saucers work well enough). :rolleyes:

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Stephanie Logan said:
She and Nelson should start dating! Think of how expressive those future hatchling faces would be! ;)

I'm not sure if Nelson is a lesbian or not, but either way, I don't think it's possible for Nelson and Trevor to have babies together... ;)
Two little girls with boy names :D

M

Maggie Cummings

I gave in and stopped trying for cutesy water dishes and just went for the paint tray. I love how it works and it's cool to walk by and see someone swimming...I use a plastic liner that never needs replacing, but my tray has rusted out in both corners. None of my turtles has any problems walking around in it or swimming when I make it too deep. I should have gone this way long ago...
oh, the one problem is a bigger turtle likes to get underneath and spills all the water out...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yeah, this Groovy Jacuzzi XL wouldn't work for a tort/turtle over 4 inches (it was from Petco). Most anything on the market for torts, like the ramp dishes, isn't big enough for a full grown one. Maggie-the paint trays and such are cheaper too! Trevor is such a water tortoise. Just today I put him in when I put in warm water and he sat for about 15 minutes. Let me a present too! I looked online at the stock tanks. I figure when the time comes I'll ask some feed store to order one for me so I can pick it up and save on shipping. To get stuff like that shipped is about as much as the thing costs. Hopefully we have a bigger car by then. I love how green he has stayed. I think it is funny both Nelson and Trevor are likely girls!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Oops, I missed that part about Nelson being Nellie...too bad as they're both so attractive they really need to pass those genes on.

I guess eharmony is the next stop. :D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
What? Trevor and Nelson are both girls? Has Danny chimed in on this one yet. I won't believe it until he does. :p Wow how did you two get so lucky with girls? I'm now believing that Ruby is a boy and I have always suspected Eddie was one. ;) Why couldn't I end up with one? :( These little Russian tortoises are the cutest with their little faces. I can't believe that Trevor is almost 2 already. What are you getting him for his birthday? Maybe a new birthday hat? :p

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I really wanted a boy due to size (since there are no guarantees we'll have a future outdoor enclosure, let alone I'd let my only baby sleep outside by himself!), but we'll see what we end up with. I'm willing to provide as much space as we need to. It is ridiculous they don't offer any larger water dishes. I actually wrote a really good letter to the manufacturer and included a picture of Trevor in his Groovy Jacuzzi! Awhile back Danny's opinion was female for Trevor too. :) The vet said male in November or so, but its really more of a guess still for anyone. The vet had thought boy when she was doing an internal temperature based on what she felt, lol. I'll probably do the same birthday hat (I saved it) as last year so it can look smaller on him for the pictures. We buy him a $6 package of organic flowers at the supermarket for his cake! We have done that a couple other times throughout his short life too. I have a black thumb, unfortunately. He loved his Mazuri & Pumpkin & flower cake last year, so I might have to do a repeat of that for him to sink his face into!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I totally remember the Mazuri/flower cake from last year!!
Can't wait to see pics of Trevor's birthday party this year :D

Status
Not open for further replies.