Trimming back claws?

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
British columbia
I believe that I need to trim my Greek's back claws for the first time. Wondering how this is best done?

His fronts and beak are all good from the porus surfaces around the enclosure, a few large flat rocks, some terra cotta. I was hoping these would be enough but it hasnt been the case with the back claws.

Anyone have experience with this?
(Pics might be a little blurry, he goes nuts in his soaks.)

20200310_151031.jpg20200310_150824.jpg20200310_150555.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't trim those. Are you sure he is a he?

If you do want to trim them anyway, I suggest a Dremmel tool with a sanding drum.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
females have longer rear claws to dig nests...Make sure what sex you have before you trim them please...

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
I wouldn't trim those.

Ok good thanks. If you see no issue with the length then I'm satisfied. Better to avoid the stress if it's no big deal.

females have longer claws to dig nests with

Good to know. Interestingly he dug a bit in his cave under his 2nd level, sort of a trench? Would a female do this for a nest, with no male around to seal the deal?

I'm pretty sure he's a he. He has a concave plastron and a fairly thick long tail. His back scutes are flared. Though I could certainly be wrong. Will try to get a few better pics when I get home.

One other thing is hes pretty territorial, he sometimes rams at the walls of his soaking tub once or twice if hes feeling testy, or sometimes if I'm moving things in the enclosure and have no treats. Do females exhibit this behavior as well?

Thanks.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Ok good thanks. If you see no issue with the length then I'm satisfied. Better to avoid the stress if it's no big deal.

Good to know. Interestingly he dug a bit in his cave under his 2nd level, sort of a trench? Would a female do this for a nest, with no male around to seal the deal?

I'm pretty sure he's a he. He has a concave plastron and a fairly thick long tail. His back scutes are flared. Though I could certainly be wrong. Will try to get a few better pics when I get home.

One other thing is hes pretty territorial, he sometimes rams at the walls of his soaking tub once or twice if hes feeling testy, or sometimes if I'm moving things in the enclosure and have no treats. Do females exhibit this behavior as well?

Thanks.

Frankly, I am a Sulcata person, but I think that your guy exhibits male behavior...but don't quote me ?