Trimming Tortoise Beak?

johndev

How do I trim my redfoot tortoise beak? I know you can get cuttle bone but is there any other way?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
You can feed them on a flat rock, slate, some stores even sell 'rock bowls' in the reptile section.
Cuttlebones are effective, but I'd also try the food slate, because you'll never know when they'll have a calcium strike :D
Don't cut up their food, it's better for their beak! (to a degree, though! Don't go throwing in a whole cactus or anything :D )
I know some people use dremmels on tortoise beaks, but I feel if you just offer them a hard place to shave it down you don't need to do it manually, it just happenes naturally. (and that's scary thought:confused: )

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
How do I trim my redfoot tortoise beak? I know you can get cuttle bone but is there any other way?

Could you please post a picture of the beak? If it is only slightly overgrown, you can file it a little bit every few days with an emery board (the kind you use for fingernails). If it is very overgrown, you may need to find a qualified exotics vet who can trim it for you. Without a picture, it's hard to know which of these scenarios applies to you.