Trusted Tortoise Imports

jjaymeza

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Worth
Hey guys I was just wanting some information I don’t see that we have any export sources that are trusted (not scams) to purchase specific tortoises. It seems as there is a monopolized market in the U.S on certain breeds of tortoises and though they may be trusted sources sometimes outsourcing is the cheaper, more efficient route. I mean the sources in the US got their first products elsewhere. Also sources from the land where the tortoises are from means no waiting lists and faster shipping. Not trying to cause a debate. Me myself would prefer domestic bred but sometimes that’s not an option for everyone. So if you have a source for in my case an Aldabra who is an exporter (ships to the U.S) or maybe even another breed please comment cause who knows it may help someone who’s desperately looking. Thanks guys!

Salspi

Chicago
I think you will find that this will irritate people on this forum. Because, buying captive bred tortoises from breeders in the USA takes pressure off of the poaching of wild tortoises. Most people on here are dedicated to the conservation of tortoises.

If you’re looking for an Aldabra that will live to be over 100 years old, why is there this rush to get an imported one and not wait for the next available breeding season or the waiting list?

If you’re looking for an Aldabra Tortoise that is going to cost Thousands of dollars a year to feed, house and vet bills why are you concerned with a cheaper purchase price of the animal?

Just the lack of parasites that the captive bred specimens have is worth getting one. I think you aren’t thinking about how much Vets cost.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not irritated by the question, I'm just surprised that this is even a question in 2018.

I suppose for people who were not involved with the reptile trade back in the 80 and 90s, or earlier, they wouldn't realize what we went through and what the disadvantages of an imported animal would be.

For some species we had no choice. It was WC imports or nothing. But whenever there was a choice, I don't think anyone would argue that the CB option wasn't the better way to go for a long list of reasons. CB animals were like gold.

I can't even remember the last time I had this debate/conversation. It would have been back in the early 90s. A lot of time has passed since then, and I suppose we have new people in the hobby that simply don't have that perspective from yesteryear.

jjaymeza

Fort Worth
As I stated I’m not here to debate captives can also be done in other countries I’m not saying someone go catch me one. I’m also aware of the costs of one in due time that’s not the issue. And I am also on a waiting list already. And the monopoly part is where I question it seems like 3 men’s names are the only ones that comes out of anyone’s mouth and I have spoken to Almost all of them and no one has any. Where did they get there’s and did anyone question them? I wanted a captive breeder over seas hence I said not scams. I want it to be legit I would never want anyone to harm or abuse a beautiful creature.

jjaymeza

Fort Worth
I'm not irritated by the question, I'm just surprised that this is even a question in 2018.

I suppose for people who were not involved with the reptile trade back in the 80 and 90s, or earlier, they wouldn't realize what we went through and what the disadvantages of an imported animal would be.

For some species we had no choice. It was WC imports or nothing. But whenever there was a choice, I don't think anyone would argue that the CB option wasn't the better way to go for a long list of reasons. CB animals were like gold.

I can't even remember the last time I had this debate/conversation. It would have been back in the early 90s. A lot of time has passed since then, and I suppose we have new people in the hobby that simply don't have that perspective from yesteryear.

Also as you stated there was a time when that was necessary well now is a necessary time the animal is on the brink of extinction and everyone expects to get their animals from three breeders. There is just no way supply and demand will not allow that. All I was asking was more options for breeders whether it be domestic or international.

jjaymeza

Fort Worth
I also have nothing but respect for everyone on this app I appreciate all the fellow tortoise lovers. Everyone has been a ton of help. So let’s keep the peace. For anyone else who comments.

jjaymeza

Fort Worth
Does your mon know you want to buy a 500lb tortoise?

My mom? I live on my own? I guess I can tell her Incase she has extra greens for my babies. I already own a number of sulcatas (which would be kept on separate acres)

Salspi

Chicago
I am sorry about the mean post... I was just frustrated. Anyways to address your issue, I just got off the phone with Sam at Florida Iguana. He currently has a perfect 5 1/4 inch hatchling available. He also has a 6 inch hatchling available right now.

He is getting more at the beginning of May from the Seychelles. He went out of his way to help me with questions and he even offered to email me the incoming inventory. Is two weeks quick enough for you or do you need an Aldabra faster than that?

It took me 5 min of work to do that. Not sure why it’s that difficult for you to track down an available Aldabra.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The three names you have, Aldabraman, Sam and Chris, are all I have ever heard of since I joined in 2011. Aldabraman is the only one not selling imports. If none of them have any, then I think your going to have to wait.
You can check fauna classifieds, however most on there are older then hatchlings unless they are being advertised by the three already mentioned.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One thing to consider - there just aren't that many people in the U.S. that breed Aldabran tortoises. I had two hatchlings that I raised up until they were over 200lbs, about 17 years. They MIGHT have been big enough to breed, but they were both male. My point being: 17 years to raise one up to breeding age, only to find out you don't have a pair. So now you have to put out many more thousands of $$$ to get one like sized of the opposite sex. There just aren't that many hobby breeders who have the time to wait or that kind of money to buy breeding stock.

daniellenc

Maryland
Are you looking for adults or hatchlings? I’d be leery buying internationally because more often WC animals are sold as CB and you’re none the wiser until you receive them sick and stressed from shipping. Also, you’re talking a few grand and can’t enforce any guarantees of life arrival. Not sure it’s worth the risk but maybe start stalking international forums and see if a few breeders pop up often

jjaymeza

Fort Worth
One thing to consider - there just aren't that many people in the U.S. that breed Aldabran tortoises. I had two hatchlings that I raised up until they were over 200lbs, about 17 years. They MIGHT have been big enough to breed, but they were both male. My point being: 17 years to raise one up to breeding age, only to find out you don't have a pair. So now you have to put out many more thousands of $$$ to get one like sized of the opposite sex. There just aren't that many hobby breeders who have the time to wait or that kind of money to buy breeding stock.

Wow I am so sorry I never saw it like that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow I am so sorry I never saw it like that.
No, I wasn't planning to breed them. I was just using my own experience to make my point. I had to sell them because I couldn't handle them anymore. They were breaking down fences and causing destruction, plus when they occasionally didn't go into their shed at night it was impossible for me to handle them (read manhandle) into the shed.

Salspi

Chicago
Yvonne, you are so kind and patient at giving advice. You even cite examples that you had. You have
Excellent communication skills unlike myself. Are you a school teacher?

Salspi

Chicago
No, just old. When you get to be my age you've absorbed a bit of knowledge, and honed your communication skills. Plus, I raised three kids!

It’s very cool to get life lessons on a tortoise forum...