Trying Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montana USA
My first attempt at a tortoise failed on a grand scale. It was a hatchling ibera greek with a three day guarantee. I got it in late July and it crossed in September, well after the three days were up.

Stephen, here on the forum, contacted me and has been very kind and supportive and not just that - he trusted me enough to let me have a fresh start with a yearling Hermann's Dalmatian tortoise.

She arrived today.

She seems to have staked out a corner at the warm end of the enclosure. She hasn't eaten, yet, but it had to be quite a trip by overnight FedEx.

I'll be posting photos, later on my FB.

Thank you Stephen E. for being to kind.

Sally

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Sorry about your loss. I hope you have better luck this time.
AND Welcome to TFO.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry about your first one. Good luck with this one. Sure it will all be fine. Just be sure to give it a soak today. That trip can get them thirsty. Oh and pics, we like pics, you know.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Here's hopin for a better experience!

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Montana USA
Hello again!

Thanks for the kind encouraging words.

She warmed up and began exploring. Both ends, warm and cool. She climbed over her hide thing several times. She isn't interested in the food and water.

She has buried herself at the warm end. Is this okay?

My box turtle used to do some digging in but the tortoise I just lost did not do this.

I guess I am just twice shy after the sad ending of my ibera.

Please tell me it is okay that she dug in.

Sally the scared...

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
Sally Franklin Christie said:
Hello again!

Thanks for the kind encouraging words.

She warmed up and began exploring. Both ends, warm and cool. She climbed over her hide thing several times. She isn't interested in the food and water.

She has buried herself at the warm end. Is this okay?

My box turtle used to do some digging in but the tortoise I just lost did not do this.

I guess I am just twice shy after the sad ending of my ibera.

Please tell me it is okay that she dug in.

Sally the scared...

It is OK that your new charge has buried themselves.

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Montana USA
IMAG0361.jpgHello Again..

The baby girl survived the night, all dug in. I probably should have let her get herself up but couldn't help checking. I had a frightful moment when I just couldn't find her under there.

I sat her to warm. She does not seem to be interested in the food. Once she was warm she began patrolling her boundaries, climbing the hide log and being generally active and alert.

I'm posting some photos from last night. The white stuff in the soil is sand the pet store sold me with a smile. I don't like the way it looks so I think I'll change it out for play sand.

Photos? Let me try...IMAG0366.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Montana USA
I could not find play sand, seems it is seasonal. I bought some pet store sand, turquoise and regular sand color. We added more soil as well.

We haven't mixed the sand in, yet, the girl digs and I figure I'll turn all the the substrate the next time I go hunting for her.

She likes to climb as well as dig so I am going to try to slope the hide so she doesn't end up flipped over.

What a goof...

I had her out and was going to add some moisture to the enclosure. I put her in my chair and when I turned back, she was gone. Not in the cracks, not under the cushion, not on the floor.

I looked accusingly at the dog.

The silly tort had climbed up the back of my chair. I was looking everywhere but up.

Sally

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. I would not mix the sand in if you havent already. Stick with the coco coir. If you want to mix something in mix some cypress, hardwood, or eucalyptis mulch in. Sand has no benefit to hermans tortoises, if they ingest enough of it, they can become impacted and die from it. I have learned this many years ago the hard way. Hermans will do just perfect in the substrate you have without the sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.