Trying to figure out how old my russian is?

LostSouls70

So I'm new here and new to tortoises as well. I know it's a Russian, but I don't know how old he is, he's about 5" long and 4" across. Any suggestions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Most larger Russians are wild caught and are anywhere from 5 years or older.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At that size, your tortoise is full grown. No way to tell unless you know the hatch date, but my guess without seeing the tortoise, would be over 20 years of age.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Petco?

Just curious. Is there a reason his age matters to you?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you've bought a Russian tortoise from a chain pet store, that means the tortoise is longer than 4", because there's a national rule that disallows pet stores from selling tortoises under 4" A russian tortoise that is 4" or more is most certainly over 8 years, and maybe even older. Unless you know the hatch date there's no way to know a tortoise's age.

LostSouls70

Yvonne G said:
If you've bought a Russian tortoise from a chain pet store, that means the tortoise is longer than 4", because there's a national rule that disallows pet stores from selling tortoises under 4" A russian tortoise that is 4" or more is most certainly over 8 years, and maybe even older. Unless you know the hatch date there's no way to know a tortoise's age.

Thank you, Yvonne that helps alot