Tunisian Spur Thigh - Squeaking

ClareyTort

IMG_7218.PNG
Hello,
We have a 6 month old Tunisian spur thigh and he has suddenly started squeaking. Very often and very loudly! It's so loud that it sounds almost like a meow!?
We've also noticed he has a flap of dead skin over his nose, which is securely stuck on his little face. I've read that the dead skin is normal on his face as he is growing and new skin is forming underneath. I've also read that we must NEVER try and pull it off.
Do you think the squeaking is due air passing under
the flap of dead skin or perhaps something more serious?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome I can't answer your question I'm afraid, but from your avatar picture I think his substrate is too dry - pellets are not recommended for enclosures. If you look under Species Specific you will probably find a caresheet which will tell you all about diet temps humidity and substrate etc. The Beginners Mistakes thread is great to help avoid the same mistakes made by others (link below) and the Enclosures thread has lots of good ideas for giving your tort a happy healthy home.
A more experienced keeper will be along soon and I hope his squeaking can soon be resolved.

ClareyTort

Hi Lyn, thanks for your reply.
We were told to use this pellet substrate for his table because it is the best for this breed (Tunisian Spur Thigh). Apparently, as he originates from the desert, he prefers the driest conditions possible. That being said, we still spray his substrate with water reasonably often. I know this isn't the case for most tortoises but apparently is for our little chap.
I've read hundreds of Tunisian spur thigh care sheets and tried to keep his home in-line with the recommended conditions.
Sadly, there is no mention of the squeaking!
Thanks again.
Clare

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
How often are you soaking him? I've found that when my reptiles are shedding that increased humidity helps things along. That might be all you need to get that dead skin off.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

Lincoln Michal

5 Year Member
Tunsian greeks and Tunsian spur thighed are the same tortoises. All the north African tortoises are closely related meaning they have a common ancestor. Though closely related they look different enough to tell where they come from. Five different populations (subspecies).

Katy1986

My 2 year old squeaked yesterday too for the first time. I've only had him a week, so I didn't know if it was a stress call or a sneeze of some type. Mine is a Tunisian spur thighed too.

Lincoln Michal

5 Year Member
Hi Katy, I agree that dry conditions seem to have something to do with blocking the nares (nostrils) and cause the squeaking. It is important to watch how your tortoise is breathing. If you can hear it breathing, sneezing and /or see open mouth breathing you could have a respiratory infection. A reptile Vet can help you with antibiotic injections. Since your tortoise is probably stressed because he is in a new environment he must be watched carefully. Don't handle him to much and give him a warm bath in shallow water 3 or more times a week. Do you have secure hiding places for him to sleep? Such as caves, flower pots, boxes. Tortoises need dark small spaces to feel free from danger.

Katy1986

Yes I bath him, and he has hiding places (although he prefers to bury himself). He seems ok with his breathing but I'm waiting for a vets appointment to get him checked anyway. especially as he is new. Thanks