IMG_1526072850.572686.jpg
IMG_1526073282.160611.jpg

IMG_1526073039.181077.jpg
IMG_1526073498.599898.jpg
Left turtle

IMG_1526073139.937734.jpg
IMG_1526073679.494080.jpg
Right turtle

I have two mud turtles and I would like to know if anyone could help me find out what their genders and age are. I have been searching the web and could not find any helpful info.

The turtle on the right is about 3” in length and the turtle on the left is about 3.5” in length but has a much wider tail, head and shell.

Also the right turtle has a ashy look on its shell and I was wondering if it might something wrong with it or if it’s just natural?

cortezknight

If they do happen to be a male and female I would like to know some tips on breeding them : )

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Eastern Mud turtles - Kinosternon subrubrum subrubrum

It looks like the smaller one is captive raised and probably about 3 years old. The large one looks much older and looks wild caught or perhaps lived outside in an outdoor pond. A total guess on the larger one is 6 years +. They are the same species and subspecies and the larger one looks like it has old algae growth that has dried on its shell. It is very common for these turtles to be overgrown with a coat of algae in the wild.

I cannot see the tails in your pictures. The smaller one is looking female and by 3" we should be able to tell. I would expect a female to be mature and possible start laying eggs at 4"+. The large looks male, but I cannot see the tail. It should be substantially longer and curled to the side. At 3 1/2" a male would be mature especially if wild caught and slower grown.

Don't have to do much to breed them except give them the proper, natural like conditions and keep them in good health. They will do the rest.

cortezknight

Eastern Mud turtles - Kinosternon subrubrum subrubrum

It looks like the smaller one is captive raised and probably about 3 years old. The large one looks much older and looks wild caught or perhaps lived outside in an outdoor pond. A total guess on the larger one is 6 years +. They are the same species and subspecies and the larger one looks like it has old algae growth that has dried on its shell. It is very common for these turtles to be overgrown with a coat of algae in the wild.

I cannot see the tails in your pictures. The smaller one is looking female and by 3" we should be able to tell. I would expect a female to be mature and possible start laying eggs at 4"+. The large looks male, but I cannot see the tail. It should be substantially longer and curled to the side. At 3 1/2" a male would be mature especially if wild caught and slower grown.

Don't have to do much to breed them except give them the proper, natural like conditions and keep them in good health. They will do the rest.

Thank you for this helpful information !