Turtle ID needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiona*gizmo

5 Year Member
20120914_213553.jpgHi, I recently adopted a turtle that a family no longer wanted. I got all her tank and set up completed and she seems really happy.

I took her to my nearest reptile vets for a check up and was told she was very strong and healthy, only problem was that she did not know what type of turtle it is. Was advised to come on this site, so here I am.

I have attached a photo.....Any ideas?

Thanks from the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:

fiona*gizmo

5 Year Member
Hi,

Can anyone help me ID my recently rescued turtle?

My local reptile vet was unsure and advised me to join this site, so here I am.

Thanks from the UK

Attachments

• 20120914_213553.jpg
    20120914_213553.jpg
    973 KB · Views: 99

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I also opened the post you did in the main forum section, thinking between here and there you would get the best answers. I feel like I should know what type of turtle it is, but my mind is blanking, sorry. Your Vet actually said this forum or just to try an online site?

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I dont know what kind it is but it is very pretty :)

fiona*gizmo

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! I also opened the post you did in the main forum section, thinking between here and there you would get the best answers. I feel like I should know what type of turtle it is, but my mind is blanking, sorry. Your Vet actually said this forum or just to try an online site?

Hi, Yes my vet actually named this specific site

fiona*gizmo

5 Year Member
Thanks. She is a great turtle, full of character.

Yes Jacqui, my vet told me to come on this specific site. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, fiona*gizmo!!

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
It looks like a painted turtle "Chrysemys picta" ... maybe southern. not 100% sure yet. Can you post a picture of its plastron? Need to know how many scutes it has. Also a picture of a complete view of the carapace.

BTW - It's shell is gorgeous! :D

tortioselove101

5 Year Member
Hi I really don't know what kind it is but he's beautiful and I have two turtles of my own and know that since he has webbed feet he needs a lot of water/swimming room how much water do you have him in?

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
I replied on your other thread. I think its a painted turtle, but I had a couple more questions for you.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Welcome to the group.

I don't think it's a Chrysemys, but I agree more pictures.
1) Plastron, turtle belly.
2) Carapace, pictures from above showing whole shell.
3) Side view.

Turtle ID from pictures is tough so more is better. Goo luck

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Nice looking turtle. I think a profile pic of the head and shell will help I.D. This guy. Almost looks like a Cuban slider. Or perhaps a European pond turtle?

tortioselove101

5 Year Member
Biff Malibu said:
It looks like a painted turtle "Chrysemys picta" ... maybe southern. not 100% sure yet. Can you post a picture of its plastron? Need to know how many scutes it has. Also a picture of a complete view of the carapace.

It is Definitly not a southern they have stripe going down there back it doesn't look like any kind of painted to me

Biff Malibu said:

But I could be wrong

Well I'm not an expert on turtles but I do have two of my own and I see he has webbed feet and that means he needs lots of water/swimming room how much does he have what are you feeding him?

fiona*gizmo

5 Year Member
Thank you.
I am new to the site and not sure how I posted two threads!

I will attempting to upload more pictures as requested on the other thread.

fiona*gizmo

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies so far!

I will attempt to upload some more pictures of her.

When I had her she was in a very small tank (2ft wide) with a small amount of water and no heat lamp or UV. I introduced her to a 5ft tank very slowy as she could not swim! She has learnt to swim very quickly and yes, those webbed feet make her a great swimmer. She is in a 5ft tank which is 2ft high. Thinking of getting a 6ft tank. I am feeding her turtle food and variety of meal worms and green vegetables.

Status
Not open for further replies.