Turtle ID needed please

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiona*gizmo

5 Year Member
I have attached some more pictures for help with ID of my turtle.

Thank you

Attachments

• turtle1.JPG
    turtle1.JPG
    744.1 KB · Views: 76
  • turtle2.JPG
    turtle2.JPG
    796.2 KB · Views: 60
  • turtle3.JPG
    turtle3.JPG
    846.2 KB · Views: 81

tortioselove101

5 Year Member
fiona*gizmo said:
Thanks for the replies so far!

I will attempt to upload some more pictures of her.

When I had her she was in a very small tank (2ft wide) with a small amount of water and no heat lamp or UV. I introduced her to a 5ft tank very slowy as she could not swim! She has learnt to swim very quickly and yes, those webbed feet make her a great swimmer. She is in a 5ft tank which is 2ft high. Thinking of getting a 6ft tank. I am feeding her turtle food and variety of meal worms and green vegetables.

Ok fantastic, a lot people don't understand that and I can already tell your going to be a fantastic parent!

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
fiona*gizmo said:
I have attached some more pictures for help with ID of my turtle.

Thank you

Need to see its underside or plastron - scute count helps to ID. Acrantophis is on the right track too, definitely a species of pond turtle.

The reason I say it almost looks like a southern painted, although painted turtles are usually a bit more artistic/colorful - It does have strong similarities though, "The stripes on the face" and "shell type" are similar. Although yes, the southern painted does have a stripe going down the middle.

The stripes on the face - really narrows it down though to what it can be.

It looks A LOT like this IMO, although with different coloration. Look at the stripes on the face, look how similar the carapace count/shape is. Really need to see its underside though.

Southern%20Painted%20Turtle.jpg

Check out the similarities with a western painted.

Western%20Painted%20Turtle_jpg.jpg

fiona*gizmo

5 Year Member
Thank you very much.

I will take a photo of her underbelly tomorrow and post the picture.

Again, thanks for help/information so far.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Wow, after seeing these pictures, I have changed my mind. I think it's a type of American painted turtle, maybe a hybrid of two kinds. I never say a painted turtle with those marking or a brown shell, but I'm not expert. Beautiful turtle though.

A few months ago there was talk of a turtle and tortoise mating. Maybe a few years ago a mad scientist did some creative gene splicing. It is a very beautiful specimen.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Reeves Turtle, Chinemys reevesii, and looks to be an old soul at that as you can barely make out the keels on the carapace any longer. Fun little turtles.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
I would say a mud turtle maybe a striped mud turtle or a close relative.

Juhan78

5 Year Member
I´m sure that is not a Chinemys reevesi, neither a European pond turtle or an Asiatic turtle. It looks like a Trachemys (look the nucal scute) but I cant say what Trachemys. Maybe an old black Cuban slider. The colour of your turtle is not usual. Old male Trachemys often are black but yours looks like a female.

Sorry for may English :rolleyes:

Juan

fiona*gizmo

5 Year Member
fbsmith3 said:
Wow, after seeing these pictures, I have changed my mind. I think it's a type of American painted turtle, maybe a hybrid of two kinds. I never say a painted turtle with those marking or a brown shell, but I'm not expert. Beautiful turtle though.

A few months ago there was talk of a turtle and tortoise mating. Maybe a few years ago a mad scientist did some creative gene splicing. It is a very beautiful specimen.

Thank you very much

turtle 4.jpg
I have uploaded a picture of her underbelly if that helps.....

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS SO FAR

Last edited by a moderator:

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I have two almost identical to that one. I cannot figure out what they are either! Have you figured it out yet? Mine are about 8inches or so.

80zthomas

5 Year Member
Vacaville, Ca
fiona*gizmo said:
Thank you very much

I have uploaded a picture of her underbelly if that helps.....

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS SO FAR

Welcome...may you take a pic of the tail...most likely this is some sort of hybrid.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Actually now that I've seen a plastron picture I think it may be a cooter perhaps a redbellie (there are three or four depending on if you consider the two northern ones the same species or not). Though it is hard to say from a picture.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
More than likely Pseudemys Nelsoni, or Florida Redbelly Cooter..........

Nothing like gettin the OP confused and going the wrong direction......

Status
Not open for further replies.