turtle identity?

sunrisesoup

Location (City and/or State)
chino valley, AZ
Can anyone identify this tortoise? I am in W. Africa now, but this looks rather like an endangered Asian elongated tortoise, but I am far from knowledgeable. A street vendor wanted to sell it to me. I don't want to do anything illegal, but I would like to save it, if it's endangered.

Attachments

• 20220107_115313.jpg
    20220107_115313.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • 20220107_115321.jpg
    20220107_115321.jpg
    976 KB · Views: 24

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can anyone identify this tortoise? I am in W. Africa now, but this looks rather like an endangered Asian elongated tortoise, but I am far from knowledgeable. A street vendor wanted to sell it to me. I don't want to do anything illegal, but I would like to save it, if it's endangered.
Its a hinge back. Probably a local species.

Will @Kapidolo Farms might know which species.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Definitely not an elongated tortoise.

Kinixys bellina nogueyi is the main hingeback found in W. Africa.

If you can, get a count of the claws on the front feet. Nogueyi are known to have only 4 claws on each foot.

@2turtletom

Fig-S1-Distribution-ranges-of-the-savannah-taxa-of-Kinixys-and-sampling-sites-ranges.ppm.png

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
What would be your plan if you bought it? Getting it back to the US would be very difficult.

sunrisesoup

chino valley, AZ
What would be your plan if you bought it? Getting it back to the US would be very difficult.
I was hoping to find an organization with proper credentials and contacts to take care of it. I am relieved it isn't endangered. Thank you so much for your rapid response. I still feel bad for the tortoise, but buying it would only encourage the vendor to take more from the wild.

sunrisesoup

chino valley, AZ
I'll try to get another look at the turtle. The original pics are more clear, and it does look like 4 toes, but the coloring is not nearly as vivid as your picture- even with the dust it seems evenly dull colored.