Turtle Table and potential insects.

ryvanzandt

Location (City and/or State)
Canal Winchester, Ohio
Hello all

I have been lurking and reading everything I can. My kids and me :) really want a tortoise. Thought I had everything researched and plans ready for a turtle table build this weekend. In my reading I have come across the insect issue mainly springtails that seem to occur to some or all, i'm not sure. I say issue, not necessarily for me, but potentially for the wife and daughter. As I live in Ohio the the tortoise will be housed indoors for at least half the year. We had been looking at getting a russian tortoise, so i was looking at keeping a moist substrate for him/her. I'm not the type of person to just setup a bare aquarium to avoid the issue. So if I can't give them the best possible habitat I can, I would rather not do it.

My question is how much of an issue does it become, or is it more of a keeping thing clean over an inevitable thing because of the moist substrate? I read about freezing your substrate initially to avoid anything that may be in there to start. Any other pointer or advise to help would be greatly appreciated.