turtles

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Box turtles are very tortoise-like and don't get much bigger than the palm of your hand. Quite the nice pet to have. Very personable.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Do they need to brumate each year, or can they be kept awake year round with the proper temp and light cycling?

Jamie

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I don't know about turtles, but for tortoises, the smallest one legal to have in the United States is the Egyptian. They don't grow more than 5" in size as adults. They are quite popular right now, so a hatchling will easily cost between $700-$1,200.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Three-striped mud turtles, Kinosternon baurii. They're readily available captive bred. They normally grow up to between 3 and 4 inches, with the maximum being around 5.4 inches in a very old turtle (female). Of course, I'm biased. ;) Bold and Pinstripe keep me entertained (and on my toes).

Other North American mud and musk turtles would also be excellent options.

While you're researching, look at spotted turtles, although they have a reputation for being more difficult than muds and musks.

Russian Rehab

ma
anyone know what kind of turtles stay small forever?

Musk turtles only ever get to be about 4 or 5 inches. here are my 2 full grown breeding adults .....also they are the CUTEST as babys 2nd pic bellow
46988934_10218544845118094_3440191760972644352_n.jpg
46872006_10218544837957915_5943810686952931328_n.jpg

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Reevee's turtle male and female stay about the same size
Excellent suggestion. From what I've read, Reeves turtles are intelligent, responsive and interactive will their keepers. They've been called the "Golden Retrievers of the aquatic turtle set."

After a couple years of raising fragile hatchlings (which are absolutely adorable, but also a lot of worry and a lot of work), I'm kind of hoping to NOT bring any livestock home from the expo in Daytona in August this year. If we end up bringing home another turtle this year, there's a good possibility it will be a Reeves.

Note: For anyone in the market for a Reeves turtle, double check with the breeder to confirm the turtle is from breeding lines that do indeed stay small. Most are, but there are some out there that can get at least twice as big.