Two surrendered tortoises

Berkeley

You're welcome. Glad to help.

I'm not quite sure what all the furor over hedgehogs is. They are illegal in several other places as well, GA included. I think a big part of it is that they are known vectors for hoof-and-mouth disease, and if there is any sort of a cattle/dairy industry in the state that is the reason for the extreme caution.
I've never kept them, so I haven't kept up with the regulations for hedgehogs as much.

--Berkeley

Holly'sMom

Part of it is if they're released into the wild they could live and they would be considered an invasive species as well as the diseases. PA yeah I'm not sure they just went flat our war on them lol now they threaten to take your animal if it's even shipped through our state. A couple years ago I have been looking into buying another one and not somebody refused the ship going to PA I would've had to drive to West Virginia which is really less than an hour away. But That's how I learned about houses getting raided over a hedgehog just as a pet that you get just as much trouble for them as if you were a drug dealer or something.. Obviously we decided not to get another as I'd been lucky to not get in trouble w the first one

Lauren Tilbury

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, California
MsLostRider, I am in the same boat as you. My uncle was dying and I offered to take his tortoise. I received her in mid-January.
I was told she was a desert tortoise, but when I asked my aunt if she knew where he got her, she told me he had gotten her in the everglades in 1968.
I started doing my homework and found that she was a Gopher Tortoise. That didn't really mean anything to me until I called Florida Fish and Wildlife.
My uncle had her in New York. She was flown to me in Southern California. Fish and Wildlife called me on Monday morning, I called on Friday at about 4:30 pm right before closing time. They told me I needed to relinquish her immediately; To take her to a zoo where she could be an ambassador for her species and thousands of people would be able to enjoy her. Well, I didn't think she had signed on to be a movie star, and I made a promise to my uncle that I would take care of her. I am getting ready to call Fish and Wildlife in Southern California about getting her licensed. She, too, has been in captivity for a very long time.