Type of Tortoise

Rocky999

Location (City and/or State)
Sandhurst
Hello, please can someone advise on the type of my tortoise (photo attached) in order to be able to bring it to UK from Europe. We had this tortoise for 25 years and as my mum cannot look after it anymore we need to bring it to our home in UK. Also any advice on paperwork needed for the customs would be much appreciated, Thank you. Rocky's mama.tortoise 1.jpg

Attachments

• tortoise 2.jpg
    tortoise 2.jpg
    819.9 KB · Views: 5

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello, please can someone advise on the type of my tortoise (photo attached) in order to be able to bring it to UK from Europe. We had this tortoise for 25 years and as my mum cannot look after it anymore we need to bring it to our home in UK. Also any advice on paperwork needed for the customs would be much appreciated, Thank you. Rocky's mama.View attachment 351072
There are several species of tortoise which look similar to yours. I think you will need to post photos of the bottom shell and of the upper shell taken a bit from above and behind the tortoise in order for it to be properly identified.

Also in what country was it first obtained? That information might help to ID it as well.

Rocky999

Sandhurst
There are several species of tortoise which look similar to yours. I think you will need to post photos of the bottom shell and of the upper shell taken a bit from above and behind the tortoise in order for it to be properly identified.

Also in what country was it first obtained? That information might help to ID it as well.
Thank you, i will ask my mum to take more photos.. I think the tortoise originally came from Syria.. maybe that might give some idea on the type..?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you, i will ask my mum to take more photos.. I think the tortoise originally came from Syria.. maybe that might give some idea on the type..?
If from Syria, it is most likely one of the several subspecies of Greek Tortoise, Testudo graeca. I suppose that it might also possibly be an Eastern Hermanns Tortoise, Testudo hermanni.

Here is a link to a site which describes many of the species of Testudo tortoises: https://www.hermannihaven.com/extras

Rocky999

Sandhurst
Hi there, here are few more pics from the bottom and above to be able to establish what exact species my tortoise is.. all your help is much appreciated...thank you . tortoise 3.jpg:)

Attachments

• tortoise 4.jpg
    tortoise 4.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 3