U guys won't believe this!! (another turtle dropped off)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore, Md
ANOTHER baby Eastern box turtle showed up on my porch!!! I hope this isn't a reoccurring thing... This is really sad... I'm not positive, but she has the same markings in the same spots as the one who was dropped off 2 weeks ago, so could it b a hatchling from the bigger one? Maybe they weren't sure I'd keep the one, so they waited to c if I would then when I did, drop the other one off? Idk... What should I do?!? This can't keep happening to these poor babies... Here r some pics... She's tiny, MAYBE 2 inches, if that... About how old do u think she might be? Actually, about how old do they look to u guys?ImageUploadedByTortForum1375202254.154429.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375202273.084345.jpg

Sorry, hit the wrong button... Here r the rest of the pics ImageUploadedByTortForum1375202351.580054.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375202365.840909.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375202383.920530.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375202406.697201.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375202426.837039.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375202441.993221.jpg

N just for good measure, here r some of my sulcata Master Oogway ImageUploadedByTortForum1375202573.380556.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375202591.297987.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375202613.463593.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
RE: U guys won't believe this!!

It is probably a year old, and possibly two. It's not sad. Whoever dropped them off evidently knows you already have some, and they probably figured that the youngsters would be better off with you.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
U guys won't believe this!!

Here's the thing, someone dropped off the other box turtle on my porch in a box 2 weeks ago... Before that, I only had a sulcata... Idk what to do if this keeps happening

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Are they native to your area? If so, they may be plucking them out of the wild, probably from their yard and bringing them too you. Leave a not for them to leave them in the wild. If they aren't native to your area, then leave a note that says you would like to meet whoever is dropping them off to get more info about the turtles. Then you could find out how many more there are.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Gosh, I wish I didn't work out of town most of the week- I'd love to have these little beauties! Good luck, whatever you decide!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB

It's possible they're even lurking on this forum... She's super cute!! The others are uber cute, too!!!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

Penn

5 Year Member

I wish that would happen to me.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md

wellington said:
Are they native to your area? If so, they may be plucking them out of the wild, probably from their yard and bringing them too you. Leave a not for them to leave them in the wild. If they aren't native to your area, then leave a note that says you would like to meet whoever is dropping them off to get more info about the turtles. Then you could find out how many more there are.

They r native to my area, but not anywhere near my house... I live in the city... Ill keep this one too, but if there r more, idk if I can do that... I mean, if they're pets, that's fine... But I don't want them taking from their environment , u know? I just wish I knew.. But leaving a note is a GREAT idea... I'm going to do that :) thanks guys

Ferretinmyshoes said:
You can just send them to me! ;)

Lol sure :)

Moozilion said:
Gosh, I wish I didn't work out of town most of the week- I'd love to have these little beauties! Good luck, whatever you decide!

Thank u very much :) I love them, I just don't want them being plucked from the wild n abandoned here for no reason, u know?

Jabuticaba said:
It's possible they're even lurking on this forum... She's super cute!! The others are uber cute, too!!!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

Maybe! Hmmm .... But thanks May :)

Penn said:
I wish that would happen to me.

Where r u from? I don't mind taking unwanted pets, but if they're wild it's not fair to take them from their home, just to abandon them on my porch w/no background info or where they found them so I can take them back... I read their territories r about 250 foot radius n if removed from that territory, they spend all their time n energy trying to get back.. They're way far away from home if they're in my neighborhood

Penn

5 Year Member

I live in Pasadena California, just right outside from Los Angeles. Of all my life I've never seem a wild turtle or tortoise. If I did I wouldn't want to keep it either. I know it's not fair for you but what I'm saying is if it was someone's unwanted pet I would have love to keep him. There's no chance of that happening here, I'll be lucky to find it on CL. Whoever dropped them off must know you have love for these creature and that they're in better hands.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md

Penn said:
I live in Pasadena California, just right outside from Los Angeles. Of all my life I've never seem a wild turtle or tortoise. If I did I wouldn't want to keep it either. I know it's not fair for you but what I'm saying is if it was someone's unwanted pet I would have love to keep him. There's no chance of that happening here, I'll be lucky to find it on CL. Whoever dropped them off must know you have love for these creature and that they're in better hands.

Aww thank u :) yes, like I said, if they were pets, then I have no problem keeping them, but if they're wild, it's not fair to keep them... Just wish I knew either way because I'd feel a lot better about keeping them

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Do you have a cat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Or were they dropped off in a box?

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Jacqui said:
Do you have a cat?

Yes, I have 2, but they're protected... They've shown no interest in my sulcata so far though...

Yvonne G said:
Or were they dropped off in a box?

Yes, the larger female was in a box on my porch about 2 weeks ago and the baby was in a shoebox this morning

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Odds are the yearling is a captive hatch,it is very unusual for a naturally incubated box turtle egg to produce an irregual scuted hatchling, but it does happen. Good Luck with Her

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep us informed if you get any more, or if you leave a note and get a response. Hopefully what Len said is at least true for the younger one.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Len said:
Odds are the yearling is a captive hatch,it is very unusual for a naturally incubated box turtle egg to produce an irregual scuted hatchling, but it does happen. Good Luck with Her

Ok now I feel much better about keeping her too... Just didn't want someone taking them from the wild n bringing them to me to keep... Thanks Len :)

wellington said:
Keep us informed if you get any more, or if you leave a note and get a response. Hopefully what Len said is at least true for the younger one.

I most definitely will!! So far, no more, but I left a note just in case... Thanks :)

Centexsnakes

5 Year Member
Wonderful little thing!!! Makes me want to get another!

1.1 ball pythons 0.0.1 RES
0.0.1 eastern box 2.1 cats
0.1 dog

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Yes, I just hope they're not wild... But they r already loved very much!! We r their forever family so they'll never b abandoned again

Status
Not open for further replies.