Ugh- where do I even start?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
So I’m a moderator on another popular reptile site, where I help people with their tortoises, because, quite frankly, almost no one there knows what they’re doing(with their tortoises).

Someone just joined, with this picture of their tortoises in their first post-IMG_1525724414.309993.jpg
I have no idea how someone could look at this and not think “hmmm... maybe it’s not a good idea to House babies with adults in a small enclosure?”
Apparently, for a few hours during nice weather, they’re all allowed to free roam their garden, which “makes it okay”. I don’t think the garden is an actual secure enclosure.

zovick

10 Year Member!
So I’m a moderator on another popular reptile site, where I help people with their tortoises, because, quite frankly, almost no one there knows what they’re doing(with their tortoises).

Someone just joined, with this picture of their tortoises in their first post-View attachment 237941
I have no idea how someone could look at this and not think “hmmm... maybe it’s not a good idea to House babies with adults in a small enclosure?”
Apparently, for a few hours during nice weather, they’re all allowed to free roam their garden, which “makes it okay”. I don’t think the garden is an actual secure enclosure.

At least the tortoises appear to be in good health. They aren't pyramided, either, other than slight pyramiding on the one which is propped up on the back of the other large one.

Is it possible that perhaps they were only put together like this for the photo op? Or is the rest of their post indicating otherwise?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
At least the tortoises appear to be in good health. They aren't pyramided, either, other than slight pyramiding on the one which is propped up on the back of the other large one.

Is it possible that perhaps they were only put together like this for the photo op? Or is the rest of their post indicating otherwise?

Nope, not for a photo. They stated that they always do it, and how it’s like they’re a “big happy family”.

Yes, at least they do seem somewhat healthy.

daniellenc

Maryland
Looks totally faked do you think that baby could seriously climb on the big one without flipping? I doubt the adult would just hold still any chance they’re trolling u?

Briannesmith1

Tucson
Looks totally faked do you think that baby could seriously climb on the big one without flipping? I doubt the adult would just hold still any chance they’re trolling u?

I agree, I don’t think it’s physically possible for the baby to get up there. Lol

daniellenc

Maryland
I’m guessing they were trying to be cute and funny but after being called out got defensive and tried to make it look ok. I vote photo op and young insecure owner....just my guess

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's obvious they stacked the torts like that. I don't think they are trying to come off as they climbed like that themselves.
Besides, there is no better forum for tortoises then this one. So just tell them if they really want to learn the best care for tortoises, they need to join the best forum.
In the mean time, do your best to educate them.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I’m guessing they were trying to be cute and funny but after being called out got defensive and tried to make it look ok. I vote photo op and young insecure owner....just my guess

No no, that was in their original post. They never replied to my comment telling them that they need to separate them, and have correctly sized enclosures.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
It's obvious they stacked the torts like that. I don't think they are trying to come off as they climbed like that themselves.
Besides, there is no better forum for tortoises then this one. So just tell them if they really want to learn the best care for tortoises, they need to join the best forum.
In the mean time, do your best to educate them.

Yes, I did recommend that they join the forum, and gave them advice and such. I just hope that they actually take the advice, and join, lol

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Then attention seeking because that was staged and they really need to find some purpose in their life if posing their tortoises to get attention actually gives them a dopamine release.

Right? And don’t even get me started on some of the other people here. A while ago, someone joined the public tortoise/turtle chat, and showed a picture of a pyramiding baby Sulcata eating a grape, saying that it was eating “its first vegetables”. IMG_1525740165.564775.jpg
Me and my friend were concerned, and asked to see a picture of the enclosure, what they feed, the temps, and humidity. They replied with “oh, uh he lives in an outdoor enclosure, and that picture was taken a few weeks ago.”. We were just like “well... show us a picture?”IMG_0609.jpg
... he proceeds to show pictures of a full grown leopard tortoise, trying to say that it was the same tortoise, and that “he swears the breeder said it was a sulcata”. We all called him out, and he denied it until we said we would reverse image search it. We did, a bunch of pictures came up, and he tried to change his user name and pretend he was a new person, even though it shows when they change their username[emoji23]

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What kind of forum is this lol lord I’m glad I joined here first. I have a fruit eater and he doesn’t even eat grapes lol

That’s reptiles amino for ya :/

I think the worst care I’ve ever seen was on there. Long story short, someone was housing a Russian tortoise with two wild caught box turtles(no quarantine, of course), in a 40 gallon tank, using calcium sand as the substrate. No heat, but somehow a UVB tube, feeding earthworms, corn, and blackberries. One of the box turtles had a broken jaw, and they refused to bring any of them to vets. According to them, the malnourished tortoise, box turtle with a jaw so misaligned that it couldn’t eat by itself, and box turtle with bite wounds from the tortoise, were perfectly fine.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
That’s reptiles amino for ya :/

I think the worst care I’ve ever seen was on there. Long story short, someone was housing a Russian tortoise with two wild caught box turtles(no quarantine, of course), in a 40 gallon tank, using calcium sand as the substrate. No heat, but somehow a UVB tube, feeding earthworms, corn, and blackberries. One of the box turtles had a broken jaw, and they refused to bring any of them to vets. According to them, the malnourished tortoise, box turtle with a jaw so misaligned that it couldn’t eat by itself, and box turtle with bite wounds from the tortoise, were perfectly fine.
Yikes!! Did they get their care advice from PetSmart..lol.[emoji57]