Uk winter diet

Kane Durrant

Hello just looking for some answers for winter diet as weeds etc will soon be hard to come by my pellet I have are multi coloured at the moment and he doesn't Eat a great deal of them and Mazuri seems to be not available in the uk, any others options thanks a lot kane.

Kane Durrant

I got the coloured pellets from the breeder not sure what there actually called but by looking them up t-Rex looks similar

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I believe in the UK they sell an alternative to Mazuri branded as Komodo, which you can find to supplement your diet. Ethnic or trendy grocery stores may import weed-type greens and cactus pads throughout the winter (they do where I live, at least).

Kane Durrant

I believe in the UK they sell an alternative to Mazuri branded as Komodo, which you can find to supplement your diet. Ethnic or trendy grocery stores may import weed-type greens and cactus pads throughout the winter (they do where I live, at least).
I have seen the Komodo stuff have you heard good things?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I have on this forum. Do a search for Komodo here - many UK keepers seem to use it as part of their off season diet. I think, unlike Mazuri, it comes in 'flavours' (like dandelion and flowers) - I don't know much about it, but others here do.

Kane Durrant

I have on this forum. Do a search for Komodo here - many UK keepers seem to use it as part of their off season diet. I think, unlike Mazuri, it comes in 'flavours' (like dandelion and flowers) - I don't know much about it, but others here do.
Thanks for the info

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
hi there! we are in Scotland and have had to rely heavily on shop bought:( we have found the flourett brand is the best of a bad situation, few verities ... the 'classic crispy' is a staple (if you will)

the coloured pellets we have are t rex as well.... over a year on we still have them! i have read they are not the best, however our tort loves em so we feed as a treat or as backup.

Kane Durrant

hi there! we are in Scotland and have had to rely heavily on shop bought:( we have found the flourett brand is the best of a bad situation, few verities ... the 'classic crispy' is a staple (if you will)

the coloured pellets we have are t rex as well.... over a year on we still have them! i have read they are not the best, however our tort loves em so we feed as a treat or as backup.
Yeah I'm worried about relying on supermarket diet but the T. rex I have he will not eat many at all!

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Yeah I'm worried about relying on supermarket diet but the T. rex I have he will not eat many at all!

do you hydrate the pellets? our wee guy actually claws at his table due to smell of them while they are soaking. ( 3yr hermanns male)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
have sourced mazuri on amazon, but its wayyyyy over priced! komodo as mentioned, haven't tried yed but thats this yrs plan! ( as supliment)

do you mind to f i ask where in uk you are?

Kane Durrant

have sourced mazuri on amazon, but its wayyyyy over priced! komodo as mentioned, haven't tried yed but thats this yrs plan! ( as supliment)

do you mind to f i ask where in uk you are?
Yeah I soak them I've tried soaking them so they absorb as much as possible and also least doesn't make much difference! He will eat but not many. And I am in Suffolk, about and hour north east of London pal.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi I have a Leopard - he won't touch pellets in any form, so I use Florette Crispy Salad mix, kale, spring greens, romaine, carrot leaves - whatever I can get that's on the diet list for variety - all sprinkled generously with Readigrass, which I grind up in a blender and rehydrate by spraying with water to make it stick to the leaves. Lola won't eat the grass in any form unless he grazes it himself, but yours may.
I am having another go at growing my own weeds again but it was a disaster last year.
It is a problem in the UK unless you have green fingers, but Lola has grown and been healthy.
The Komodo pellets are available at The Range.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
And yeah I found one bag on eBay and it was over 60 quid! I have ordered Komodo and will try it out asap

yip, bit dear isn't it! let us know how you get on with the komodo brand:) good luck!

a trick i've read with pellets is to mush up and mix in with greens

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hello just looking for some answers for winter diet as weeds etc will soon be hard to come by my pellet I have are multi coloured at the moment and he doesn't Eat a great deal of them and Mazuri seems to be not available in the uk, any others options thanks a lot kane.
Try growing a weed patch under a cold frame over the winter. It works for cold hardy veggies, so maybe dandilions will grow.
If you don't have a weed patch its too late from seed. So dig some up taking the root ball with it and re plant in an area for cold frame.

Think I may try this for my juvenile reds.

Shponglized

London
yip, bit dear isn't it! let us know how you get on with the komodo brand:) good luck!

a trick i've read with pellets is to mush up and mix in with greens
Hey all, my little dude didn't seem keen on the pellets (komodo) even when I'd soaked them well. Tried the mashing trick this morning. I didn't mash it as well as would have liked but I think there was enough to coat the leaves I'd mixed with them. He helped himself to some greens and then went all in for the pellets. Thanks for the tip!

Kane Durrant

Hi I have a Leopard - he won't touch pellets in any form, so I use Florette Crispy Salad mix, kale, spring greens, romaine, carrot leaves - whatever I can get that's on the diet list for variety - all sprinkled generously with Readigrass, which I grind up in a blender and rehydrate by spraying with water to make it stick to the leaves. Lola won't eat the grass in any form unless he grazes it himself, but yours may.
I am having another go at growing my own weeds again but it was a disaster last year.
It is a problem in the UK unless you have green fingers, but Lola has grown and been healthy.
The Komodo pellets are available at The Range.
I'll have to see how he gets on but he won't touch them either ill try the Komodo if not I'll have to try grow some myself but I have no clue haha

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Try growing a weed patch under a cold frame over the winter. It works for cold hardy veggies, so maybe dandilions will grow.
If you don't have a weed patch its too late from seed. So dig some up taking the root ball with it and re plant in an area for cold frame.

Think I may try this for my juvenile reds.

we managed to sprout in grow trays but no more:( have improvised a 'greenhouse' but still no more groth and that been a month, I think light is prob? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443104941.708291.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443104955.107540.jpg