Ultrasonic humidifiers

Jriedy85

Are they safe to use in my Leo's enclosure? Just want to make sure the water vapor isn't dangerous for him to breathe in. Thanks in advance.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
High humidity is good but must be hand in hand with high temps. High humidity is promoted by most of us here to prevent pyramiding, and some have noticed faster growth along with more activity. I want to say healthier as it seems to be doing that but it hasn't been 100% proven yet.

— Gus

Jriedy85

I understand that the goal is high humidity. Just making sure the ultrasonic route is safe.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I did a quick search on this topic and how ultrasound works:

• An ultrasonic humidifier uses a metal diaphragm vibrating at an ultrasonic frequency, much like the element in a high-frequency speaker, to create water droplets. An ultrasonic humidifier is usually silent, and also produces a cool fog.
So, im thinking that the ultrasonic freq might NOT be the best one to use.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are fine to use. Just make sure you get the warm air mist kind. I used them when my leopard was little and am using one now. Also make sure the leopard can tip it over.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I see your asking if that specific humidifier is a good one to use. Sorry I have no experience with them. If you have a closed chamber you get your humidity up pretty high without one though. I guess it's just preference.

— Gus

Jriedy85

An ultrasonic humidifier uses electricity to create a vapor mist. It's a type of humidifier not brand.

leopard777

5 Year Member
i am thinking of getting one too , seem like the cheapest way to produce humidity in a enclosure , i will be getting a ultrasonic mist maker , just place it in a water container and voila , mist just start forming . i dont see any risk in the water vapour produced

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you buy one, see if they sell the replacement "discs". They will wear out and are not easy to find. I used them in my indoor enclosures with no problems except the maintenance part. I now use tall, thin cylinders. (Crystal light drink mix containers) with an aquarium air stone and a pump. Very cheap cost and I only have to ad water every other day. Mine are buried half way into the substrate and they are not going to tip over. If you can find ultra fine air stones, even better.

leopard777

5 Year Member
Is it better in increasing humidity then mist maker? even better I have a air pump laying around

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I use a crane ultrasound humidifier for my leopards. Works very well.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I use a ultrasonic humidifier and I have also used ZEROPILOT's creation with great results! (I use a chinese soup takeout container for the contraption).

I like the humidity from the humidifier, all my torts need now is a laser light show and metal music to go with.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
If you buy one, see if they sell the replacement "discs". They will wear out and are not easy to find. I used them in my indoor enclosures with no problems except the maintenance part. I now use tall, thin cylinders. (Crystal light drink mix containers) with an aquarium air stone and a pump. Very cheap cost and I only have to ad water every other day. Mine are buried half way into the substrate and they are not going to tip over. If you can find ultra fine air stones, even better.

I know you had a thread on this..care to post for us to get the idea? :)

leopard777

5 Year Member
Maybe not better. Maybe just as good. But it's reliable and there is no fog to see everywhere.

i think the speed up evaporation produced is so small that it cant be seen by naked eye , is does produced 10 % more humidity when i try this air pump method .