Under shell help!

Samu

Location (City and/or State)
Apple valley, CA
Hello everyone,
I am new to owning tortoises. Everything has been good so far. I have the correct temp/humidity levels, feed them, provide multivitamin, and calcium. As I was soaking them a week back I noticed this starting to form under there shells. Im pretty worried. I was researching and could it possibly be that they’re growing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. ??4A15358C-FD7F-4D33-BDEB-F0BE02F7CD29.jpeg1CC4C3D3-6F53-40CA-905A-28D23003C26D.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're talking about the rusty-looking spots along the center line? That doesn't look like normal growth. Try keeping him on paper towells for a week or so, and keep it clean and with a couple applications of Neo Sporin daily. See if that clears it up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks to me like the breeder skipped the necessary and important brooder box stage, and it looks like it is being housed too dry.

What humidity level do you believe to be "correct"? Is it an open topped enclosure? Are you soaking daily? How many do you have?

Samu

Apple valley, CA
Looks to me like the breeder skipped the necessary and important brooder box stage, and it looks like it is being housed too dry.

What humidity level do you believe to be "correct"? Is it an open topped enclosure? Are you soaking daily? How many do you have?
I always keep it 70-95% on humidity. I always have the top covered with Tinfoil to keep the humidity high. I always try my best to soak both of them daily. Sometimes I don’t due to always being busy at work

Samu

Apple valley, CA
Hello! They usually poop pretty solid. Eating habits are fine. I just don’t know why their shell is getting like that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom - can you explain the importance of that step and how it could have prevented the OP's situation? I'm genuinely curious.
General explanation here:

More detail here: