ImageUploadedByTortForum1394504494.183129.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 97
Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Haha, in this world you never know. There are sick people in this world. Btw, I would not house them together. They really won't be "best friends" very soon and the leopard will loose.
Love the pic though.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ding! Ding! Ding! Lets get ready to rumble!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
This funny. You got me till I open the post.....

Good photo.

mollydee

Oh my ! That pic made me laugh . I was nervous it was really going to be tortoises harming each other & was almost not going to click the link .

I'm new to this & don't really know how to respond to someone's comment so I hope anyone with any concern sees this !

This is just my two torts posing for a cute pic . It was too good of a photo op !

They are both housed on the same large tortoise table but with separate everything (hide food soak lights etc)
That being said the times they are together they always find each other to hang - I know sadly this probably won't be the case for long but for now they do seem to have an uncharacteristic of their species bond[GREEN HEART]

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
OMG! Sometimes I can be so literal... seriously, in me head, I was like..how the heck can they fight when they are burrowed in the ground?!?!

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Haha yeah the first thing I thought about when I read the title was "are someone's torts fighting in a burrow?"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
mollydee said:
this is esquat(sulcata) & margot(leopard) they are best friends

No. No they are not. Tortoises do not understand the concept of "friend". Other tortoises are seen as competitors for the same resources, intruders into each others territory. They don't want to be together, and most people seem to not understand tortoise aggression. Following each other around is aggressive behavior. Living as a pair is a very stressful existence for tortoises. Mixing species makes it even worse.

I don't intend to hurt your feelings. I intend to help you understand what is going on in your enclosure and give your tortoises a better life. They would each prefer to be the sole king of their own castle.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Great photo op moment for sure....also, agree with Tom here on this pair up.....they don't cuddle, they stalk....but as humans we place emotions on behavior which can cloud the actual behavior for what it is.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
People are this way because we start out life with a mothers love ! But torts don't and turtles are Evan more different mothers will eat their baby's ! Maybe now people will understand why they are happier alone !

mollydee

Tom said:
mollydee said:
this is esquat(sulcata) & margot(leopard) they are best friends

No. No they are not. Tortoises do not understand the concept of "friend". Other tortoises are seen as competitors for the same resources, intruders into each others territory. They don't want to be together, and most people seem to not understand tortoise aggression. Following each other around is aggressive behavior. Living as a pair is a very stressful existence for tortoises. Mixing species makes it even worse.

I don't intend to hurt your feelings. I intend to help you understand what is going on in your enclosure and give your tortoises a better life. They would each prefer to be the sole king of their own castle.

Yes I posted another post giving examples of their behavior when they are together , I understand I am viewing with human emotion & that really doesn't transfer .

But just so you know , maybe you didn't see my follow up comment , they are the (hopefully) King & queen of their own castles ! Their on one large tortoise table but in separate sections with lots of space and all their own things .

The "best friends" caption was really just a way to ease anyone's concern after the shocking headline concerning the nature of the photo - I didn't want anyone to think they were really about to fight ! Can't get kicked off the forum my first day especially when I'm obsessed with it as I am .

The times they are together (like when they are given free roam on the floor or we are cleaning one part of the tortoise table) we are always around to supervise .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Molly,

Do you know anyone that keeps chameleons? Ask them about stress. Chameleon people usually get this concept very well. Perhaps its because chameleons have many ways that are obvious to humans to show their displeasure at any given situation. Tortoise don't have such tools at their disposal, since they don't change color and their shells limit their body posturing to some degree.

What you need to understand is that keeping them together is stressful and it is not what is best for them. Pairs are a bad idea even with the same species. Mixing species, especially these two species, just makes it that much worse. I'm hoping you will reconsider your housing choices for the benefit of your tortoises. If not, well, I tried.