Unusal behaviour

Moomoo555

Location (City and/or State)
East Sussex
Hi I would wondering if anyone else has noticed their herman tortoise doing the same as mine eveytime I let him out of his enclosure he will run straight towards our pouffe and will pace and pace around it. And then he will try and get under it and then start making a very strange squick noise. If we remove the pouffe he just goes around in circles. Many thanks

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
It is because he is scared. They are naturally afraid if aerial attack.
Please read this care sheet and make adjustments if required.

Letting them wander in a human environment is a no no as they eat anything and could get wedged in the wrong place or bite an electrical cable etc.... It is good he can get out to stretch legs? IDEAS....Can you create a run with boxes that has a hide so it feels secure. Can you create an outside area oblong shape with a place with sun and shade using cinder blocks and a cover and small stones and hide etc... Do you regularly soak your tortoise in warm shallow water this has many benefits of hydration, excretion poo and wee and also get to know each other and build trust.

Moomoo555

East Sussex
Hi thanks I've had him since he was about 12 months and he is now 5 years old and loves to have a wonder around the house I do of course keep an eye on him. And he certainly doesn't seem to try and munch on everything in the house. I also have 2 other herman torts and they do the same they have a wonder around also. And really enjoy this. He definitely doesn't seem to be afraid. I don't know if he wonders if its a rock to hide under maybe