Unwell horsefield

Paulinehall1

Hi I am new to this lost my Herman of 30 years may last year hubby bought me a baby horsefield took to vets yesturday and told she has soft shell told she needs more calcium given some in dropper tube but won't open mouth and isn't eating either changed her lighting to uv Arcadia all in one instead of strip light and separate bask on sun will she perk up very worried

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Warm soaks with squash or carrot baby food in the water will help get something in him. 15 to 20 mins keeping the water from getting cool.

Paulinehall1

Temp is 32 under lamp don't no about humidity she is in a3ftx212ft open tortoise table not really moving at all unless picked up

Paulinehall1

This is the photo of her tortoise table and lights, and as you can see she's very small.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the :tort: forum!

Regret to have read that alert about yout tort. Please take note of something: torts do not :mad:like:

a) cold weather/Winter
b) change in environment

Now if your tort is new to the place, it'll take time for it to adapt, and you need to be extremely patient.

Good luck.

Paulinehall1

Welcome to the :tort: forum!

Regret to have read that alert about yout tort. Please take note of something: torts do not :mad:like:

a) cold weather/Winter
b) change in environment

Now if your tort is new to the place, it'll take time for it to adapt, and you need to be extremely patient.

Good luck.

Not new just new lighting system just managed to get 1ml of calcium liquid from the vet in to her mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I'm trying to decipher what all you were asking in that first post...

What sort of bulbs are in those two hoods?

There are four temperatures you need to know. Warm side, cool side, basking area I see is 32, and overnight low. Basking area needs to get up to 36-37.

All the calcium in the world will not help if your tortoise is not receiving enough UVB to make D3 in its skin. I think that is what your vet was telling you.

Here are some care sheets to help you get things sorted:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Paulinehall1

Hello and welcome.

I'm trying to decipher what all you were asking in that first post...

What sort of bulbs are in those two hoods?

There are four temperatures you need to know. Warm side, cool side, basking area I see is 32, and overnight low. Basking area needs to get up to 36-37.

All the calcium in the world will not help if your tortoise is not receiving enough UVB to make D3 in its skin. I think that is what your vet was telling you.

Here are some care sheets to help you get things sorted:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
UVA Arcadia vapour bulb and a red night bulb set at 22oc for night as advised by vet

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Arcadia bulbs are good quality, but you need to have one that emits UVB as well as some UVA. If you have an Arcadia mercury vapor bulb, you should be covered.

I don't like red bulbs for night time. It messes with their day/night cycles and it can cause them to eat substrate too. Ceramic heat emitters work the same, but produce no light.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Looking at your soil, I think you need to add more humidity. Providing a warm, humid hide is a good idea, as well, if you want your baby to grow smoothly. Please read this care sheet about baby Russian tortoise care: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/ - the hot humid hide is explained in there.

It is normal for a baby tortoise's shell to have a little 'give' - and many vets don't know this. Calcification of the tortoise's shell doesn't start until they are 18 months old. In the wild, they benefit from a softer shell, because this allows them to wedge themselves tightly into hiding spaces. The carapace (top shell) hardens first, and then the plastron (belly shell) hardens a little bit later. Even at 100g, the shell will still have some flex.

Paulinehall1

Looking at your soil, I think you need to add more humidity. Providing a warm, humid hide is a good idea, as well, if you want your baby to grow smoothly. Please read this care sheet about baby Russian tortoise care: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/ - the hot humid hide is explained in there.

It is normal for a baby tortoise's shell to have a little 'give' - and many vets don't know this. Calcification of the tortoise's shell doesn't start until they are 18 months old. In the wild, they benefit from a softer shell, because this allows them to wedge themselves tightly into hiding spaces. The carapace (top shell) hardens first, and then the plastron (belly shell) hardens a little bit later. Even at 100g, the shell will still have some flex.
Thank you I will do this and hopefully with all the new lights I've bought she may pick up and start to eat I do hope so

Paulinehall1

Arcadia bulbs are good quality, but you need to have one that emits UVB as well as some UVA. If you have an Arcadia mercury vapor bulb, you should be covered.

I don't like red bulbs for night time. It messes with their day/night cycles and it can cause them to eat substrate too. Ceramic heat emitters work the same, but produce no light.
Hi it's Pauline I have managed to give my tortoise some of the calcium through a syringe in mouth as advised by vet but she is very lethargic with eyes shut I have to move her near uvb light for while then away from it she did move a little earlier but really worried vet says she has soft shell and not much muscle any more advise please am really worried

Paulinehall1

Vet said she has soft shell with muscle loss she last ate last we'd she is very lethargic have given her 2 lots of calcium through syringe but she doesn't want to move about at all am really worried any advise please

WillTort2

5 Year Member
With a sickly young tort, I think you need to increase your temperatures for the entire enclosure.

I would also advise twice daily soaks in warm water with baby food mixed into the water. Carrot or squash baby food should be of benefit. Make the soaking tub large enough for the tort to walk around and stimulate their systems. Make sure the water is warm like baby's mild. You might also add some liquid vitamins to the water.

Good luck.

Paulinehall1

With a sickly young tort, I think you need to increase your temperatures for the entire enclosure.

I would also advise twice daily soaks in warm water with baby food mixed into the water. Carrot or squash baby food should be of benefit. Make the soaking tub large enough for the tort to walk around and stimulate their systems. Make sure the water is warm like baby's mild. You might also add some liquid vitamins to the water.

Good luck.

Good luck.
What temp would u advise I gave her bath this morning she moved about but went back to sleep I have been told tortoises take while to get ill and while to recover is this correct thank you for help

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I would get the cool side up to approx 77 degrees f.

Good luck.