Update on my tortoise encloser!

RussianNinja

Location (City and/or State)
Loudon
Had an encloser that was to small for my russian tortoise. Still have more to build but this is it so far. Waiting for my 30inch zoo med led uvb light outtry was does to be in yesterday but I haven't recieved it yet. What do you think?20181219_221331.jpeg

RussianNinja

Loudon
Thanks. The walls are 12 inches and the vinyl tile goes up 6 inches. Unfortunately I don't have a hatch date but was told around 1-3 years old with a 4 inch carapace . The left side is Cyprus mulch,coconut coir and sphagnum moss and the right side is coconut coir and organic topsoil. I read going to make a ramp(w walls) to go up to a second level for climbing and it would create a good hiding spot below it. But not sure yet... kinda just want something to safely climb. Or I might just make another hide with ramps to climb on. I also need something big in the center to break the line of sight. Either a big plant or a piece of wood or that hide w ramps. Still brainstorming ideas. Spent almost 100 building the first encloser only to research that 2 1/2 by 3 is to small. Trying to do it right this time. Can't wait till winters over and I can start working on a huge outdoor enclosure!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thanks. The walls are 12 inches and the vinyl tile goes up 6 inches. Unfortunately I don't have a hatch date but was told around 1-3 years old with a 4 inch carapace . The left side is Cyprus mulch,coconut coir and sphagnum moss and the right side is coconut coir and organic topsoil. I read going to make a ramp(w walls) to go up to a second level for climbing and it would create a good hiding spot below it. But not sure yet... kinda just want something to safely climb. Or I might just make another hide with ramps to climb on. I also need something big in the center to break the line of sight. Either a big plant or a piece of wood or that hide w ramps. Still brainstorming ideas. Spent almost 100 building the first encloser only to research that 2 1/2 by 3 is to small. Trying to do it right this time. Can't wait till winters over and I can start working on a huge outdoor enclosure!

You may want to make the walls a bit higher. Russians really are escape artists, and can climb vertical surfaces if they can get a grip of the edge.

RussianNinja

Loudon
I was thinking about putting a trim piece around the top that overlaps into the encloser. I have noticed they look up at the edges for good places to get out.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I like it, too.

And welcome to the forum.