Update on the shell kodos.

axeman25

Location (City and/or State)
Central Michigan
Hello everyone! I haven't been on in a bit and it's NOT do to me having killed any of my tortoises. Lol. They are all alive and well.
Just thought I'd update you guys on my brood since its been about two months since I got them.
I continue soaking them several times a week just to make sure they're staying hydrated and they seem to enjoy it for a while. I know it's time to towel off when they form a tortoise pyramid in the corner of the tub trying to reach the top and escape.
They are not super active but I hope that'll get better when I can move them outside to the awesome outdoor enclosure I've constructed in my mind.
They seem to be getting very used to me and the family. Emma, one of my females will follow my hand around the enclosure even without food in it. I hold it abouve the substrate about two inches and she'll kinda grab it with one of her legs and force it down to the ground and then crawl on my hand and sit there looking at me with this "well? Where are we going?" Look. It's really kinda cute. My male, Pavel (go Red Wings) is definitely the most active. I've had to change some of the larger pieces of logs to smaller ones because he turns into spidertort and climbs up on them. He then somehow pushed it away from the wall and tried to climb in between the wall and the log. And that's exactly how I found him. Face down pinned in between the two. Not sure how long he was like that but it was less than twenty minutes cuz it hadn't been even that since I saw him on top of it. He keeps showing me how even the most innocent looking things can become a hazard. Just like my eleven year old son. April, my other female is the least active and outgoing of the three. She is still shy and reserved around us. She doesn't like to be handled much but enjoys a nice hand fed snack and every once in a while likes a scratch on top of her head.
It's very funny how much I underestimate them Though. My son has this small animal kennel that we doubled in size. When the kids aren't home I'll set it on some blankets on the kitchen Floor and let them wonder a bit. One day I was letting them wonder as I was watching tv in the living room. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the wire kennel begin to slowly move towards the living room doorway. The little bigger was just nudging the darn thing around like it was nothing. Very funny.
I think they've got some new shell growth though! I'm very excited about this. I've noticed at the bottom of their shells there is a little bit of what seems to be a clearer bit of the shell. It's seems a little softer than the rest of their shell and it's pretty even all the way around. It's maybe an eight of an inch or so. am I thinking correctly here or do they have some horrible disease that I'm not aware of?
Overall I am very much excited about how it's going and am so looking forward to getting them outside this summer. My wife wants to know if there's a support group to help me with my new addiction. I keep showing her pictures of the next enclosure and the next tortoise. I may need an intervention before too long.

I hope everyone is doing well out there and thanks again for all the great (and possibly divorce causing) advise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like all is good. Post pictures of the concerned shell area.
As for needing an intervention, this is the wrong place too look. We love more tortoises, and always looking to redo an enclosure. We will help you decide if you should get another tortoise or do another enclosure, the answer is usually
YES:D. Besides, tell your wife you are perfectly normal according to,our standards:D

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Glad they're all doing good. Pictures would be great. I drive my husband crazy with new enclosures, but he is happy to oblige, because he has figured out that when there is nothing new to do for the existing tortoises I get more. :)