Update: transportation questions

KayLeo7

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything. Just wanted to let you know my little tort seems to be doing really well. Very active throughout the day, has a great appetite, and has grown significantly in the past few months. I have yet to take into a vet just to have his first yearly routine check up done and since it’s winter where I live I am afraid it’s too cold to transport. I am curious how do some of you transport your tortoises to the clinic and back? What’s the best time of year? Does that matter? Thanks in advance for your replies and happy torting!

Attachments

• 6C779D2C-6A88-42A2-A901-706FEC36F22F.jpeg
    6C779D2C-6A88-42A2-A901-706FEC36F22F.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 20

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything. Just wanted to let you know my little tort seems to be doing really well. Very active throughout the day, has a great appetite, and has grown significantly in the past few months. I have yet to take into a vet just to have his first yearly routine check up done and since it’s winter where I live I am afraid it’s too cold to transport. I am curious how do some of you transport your tortoises to the clinic and back? What’s the best time of year? Does that matter? Thanks in advance for your replies and happy torting!

Hi,

You can buy hand warmers in a number of stores and use one or two of those. Put them in a box (cardboard or plastic will work) and cover it/them with a couple of paper towels or a washcloth or two so they are not in direct contact with the tortoise. Put the tortoise in on top of the towels and close up the box and take it to your vet.

If you can't find or don't want to buy hand warmers, you can fill a plastic bottle with really hot water and do the same thing. Obviously, the bottle will need to be at the side unless you have a very tall box.

Another way is a good old-fashioned hot water bottle (a rubber bladder with a stopper) which would lay flat in a box. Just cover it with a towel or paper towels to keep the tortoise from getting too hot.