Upper respiratory infection

Russianpenelope98

Location (City and/or State)
Nampa, idaho
I’m a new owner of a Russian tort.. she was squeaking and not eating so took her to the vet. He gave her a b12 shot and electrolytes .. and an antibiotic shot. He sent me home with more antibiotics to give her every 48 hours.
im so worried about her. So my question is if you have had a tortoise with this... how long did it take them to get better. I’m so sad over her and worried n having anxiety over my baby:( please any info is appreciated

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Finish giving all the antibiotics that the vet prescribed. During this time soak the tortoise daily for at least 45 minutes each time. Antibiotics are hard on the kidneys. Place the tortoise in a smaller hospital tank/tub and keep the temperature about 80-85F degrees all over the whole tank, day and night. After the prescribed dosage is finished you can put the tortoise back in its enclosure.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i would look for some improvement after the 2nd and before the 3rd shot ......... the b complex and fluid was to make the tortoise feel better and possibly improve his appetite , you may see some improvement from just that alone ........... the antibiotic is baytril ? you really do want to get her into as optimal an environment as you can provide ......... when these guys show symptoms , they've most likely been sick for awhile .......

Russianpenelope98

Nampa, idaho
i would look for some improvement after the 2nd and before the 3rd shot ......... the b complex and fluid was to make the tortoise feel better and possibly improve his appetite , you may see some improvement from just that alone ........... the antibiotic is baytril ? you really do want to get her into as optimal an environment as you can provide ......... when these guys show symptoms , they've most likely been sick for awhile .......
Thank you!
Well tomorrow is her second shot day and yes it was baytril. She has the best environment I can provide... changed some things around from when I first got her and I’m hoping she feels better soon

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
as Yvonne said , soaking her is a really good idea , just keep the stress to a minimum ........ there are a lot of reasons for respiratory infections , a lot of them are viral , viruses they've had , exacerbated by stress of shipping , capture , less than optimal environmental conditions .............. provide optimal environment and you're doing what you can do ..........