URATES (GRAPHIC CONTENT)

nicoleann2214

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Hey guys, nova has been passing these for a couple of times each soak. Is this normal I know they’re urates but I read they’re not supposed to really pass them a lot? She just recently started doing it and this is the most I’ve seen so far.

4359008A-B4FB-478D-B3E0-BF469EB80EC0.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your photo is far from graphic! Poo and pee photos are normal for TFO ?

Urate is produced as a way of passing excess proteins from the diet.

They’re normal and the quantity varies, but passing some most days, and sometimes more than once, isn’t unusual.

What isn’t right in that picture is the texture. It should be gelatinous... mucussy... not gritty little bits like that.

Your tortoise is dehydrated. You need to increase the frequency and length of soaks. Soak for at least 30 minutes twice a day in warm water for the time being.

Use a large flat bottomed bowl like a dishwashing bowl and have the water deep enough to come just over the join between the shell and the plastron. Change the water if it goes cool.

nicoleann2214

NY
Your photo is far from graphic! Poo and pee photos are normal for TFO ?

Urate is produced as a way of passing excess proteins from the diet.

They’re normal and the quantity varies, but passing some most days, and sometimes more than once, isn’t unusual.

What isn’t right in that picture is the texture. It should be gelatinous... mucussy... not gritty little bits like that.

Your tortoise is dehydrated. You need to increase the frequency and length of soaks. Soak for at least 30 minutes twice a day in warm water for the time being.

Use a large flat bottomed bowl like a dishwashing bowl and have the water deep enough to come just over the join between the shell and the plastron. Change the water if it goes cool.
Lol not sure if it grosses some people out so I thought I’d add it LOL. And she is on her second soak now. Thank you :)