Urates???

haydog_99

Location (City and/or State)
Rocklin, CA
I've seen a lot of people posting pics of their tortoises passing urates. I have had my Leopard since the middle of February and haven't seen him pass urates, is that a problem? Thanks.

Oregon
I would be very concerned if your tortoise has never done so, as your tortoise should be excreting waste normally. Perhaps we have a misunderstanding? If we don’t, I would recommend and immediate vet check up.

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
I would be very concerned if your tortoise has never done so, as your tortoise should be excreting waste normally. Perhaps we have a misunderstanding? If we don’t, I would recommend and immediate vet check up.
He seems fine, I've had him since mid Feb and he has gained 100 grams. He went to the vet back in March for a RI and I mentioned the lack of urates and the vet did an Xray to ensure there was no blockage. I also saw this post from @Tom in another urate post "If you are soaking your tortoise daily, as you should be, you are not likely to see urates." I thought I read the if a Leopard is hydrated you may not see urates an Sulcatas are much more prone to pass urates.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I've seen a lot of people posting pics of their tortoises passing urates. I have had my Leopard since the middle of February and haven't seen him pass urates, is that a problem? Thanks.
It is quite normal to not see any visible white urates with a tortoise kept warm at all times and well hydrated with a good diet. They will expel their normal uric acid concentrate in the water they release before it concentrates into more solid urates. This is also especially true when the tortoise is given regular warm baths where releasing water is stimulated regularly - so the concentrations of uric acid in the held water is kept low.

Three things contribute to seeing more urates:
Higher protein in the diet
Low body temperature
Poor hydration

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
@Markw84 in a few previous posts explained the urate process very well. If this tort is well fed, well hydrated & soaked, one might never see big white urates. Id say, all is well in Gotham City.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I've never seen urates from my Redfoots.