*Urgent* Snapping turtle skin issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torterra

5 Year Member
Hello friends. ALL HELP WELCOME!
Just noticed the skin on my alligator snapper's tail looks like its melting away! I am so worried. He seemed to be doing well, finally got him on the pellet, and it seems he still has an appetite. Water is 80F. Has anyone seen this?
IMG_8383.jpg

IMG_8381.jpg

Is he gonna die?

Thanks,
Sam

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I do not know about these beauties....but that does not look too crazy bad to me? you have the temp at a solid 80? My gut says that is a little high for a constant...maybe 76-78 would be a little better....also, is the filtration on your tank really strong so the water is clear and/or do you do weekly 100% water changes?

I hope some of the others that do have this species will chime in and offer you some good stuff.... :D

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
maybe your heater burnt his leg? i touched mine on accident n they get really hot. if he held his tail on there for a couple seconds maybe it did "melt" his tail but im not really sure.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Relax. It's tail is fine. Your water temp is too high though. Keep it between 72 to 78 degrees. NO higher than that. He's growing, as is his tail.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
harris said:
Relax. It's tail is fine. Your water temp is too high though. Keep it between 72 to 78 degrees. NO higher than that. He's growing, as is his tail.

I agree with Harris . Room temp should be fine. I live at the Northern edge of range and the water temp ranges from 40's (now) to 80's (late summer). They are most active at water temp in mid 70's. For curiously sake, how large a habitat are you planning for adult size. They do get huge.

Torterra

5 Year Member
I would like to think you are correct, but if you look you can see the the spiny parts on his tail are also falling off!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Have you decreased the temps as suggested? How is your filtration? What is his diet? Is he the only critter in the tank? Do you feed live fish to him? If so how long are the fish in with him? How old/big is he? We need additional info here....and keep in mind most of us here are not vets and can only gather an idea based on as much info...so try to be patient with us...we are being patient trying to gather info from you...may we see a pic of the tank/enclosure? :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Mine never looked like that. We have always fed live food, never pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.