Urgent tortoise eyes swollen

Chanel

PLEASE PLEASE HELP.

My leopard tortois has swollen eyes (one larger than the other) he hasn't eaten for the past 3 days and I'm very worried !!!

I have read many threads about this but I need advice directly.

Leo (my tortoise) is one year old. We have 2 others but they are perfectly healthy.
They have a large enclosure outdoors 3m x 2m with sand, pebbles and many edible plants. They come inside during the evenings and stay in a basket with newspaper.

I have rehydrated him for 10 minutes each day and he's only drunk one gulp out of the 3 days. He always looks very uncomfortable desperately trying to get out even though it's lukewarm.

He constantly rubs his eyes and now he's developed a new habit where it looks like he is yawning ... doesn't seem good.

We tried phoning local vets for help but they will only take a consultation which is out of our reach in terms of affordability.
Plus there isn't much they can do when he is so small ?

He doesn't have a coil lamp either.

I looked up and We gonna try mixing some baby food (carrots) into the water in hopes he gets something into his system.

Any more advice PLEASE help. Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome.

In the first instance this tort needs to be separated from the others to make sure that nothing spreads. It also removes stress from bullying from the equation.

Next soaking for hydration should be at least 20 minutes. Ten minutes isn't long enough.

I recommend 30 minutes minimum for the time being. Use warm water in a high sided bowl that your tort can't see through or over. Gently bathe the eyes to make sure there is nothing in them.

What temperatures do you have at the moment? Are there any possible irritants?

Posting pictures of your tort (close up of the eyes) and the enclosure may help us.

Sand isn't a good substrate for them and may be the cause of the problem. I recommend that's changed for something more earth-like such as coco coir or orchid bark

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Also I recommend that you read the TFO guides to care of Leopard Torts. They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

The fact that you're using a sand substrate suggests you have received some of the out of date care guidance.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Leopard Tortoise
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

And if your torts are young - For those who have a young Sulcata (applies to Leos too)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They should never be housed on sand. It is a possible skin and eye irritant and its also a big impaction risk.

They need a proper enclosure indoors with the correct heating and lighting. Its probably been too cold at night for them.

Where are you?

Babies should not be outside all day. They should have a properly lit, temperature controlled indoor enclosure where they spend most of their time, with brief daily excursions to the great outdoors for an hour or two.

Please read those threads that Joe's Mum linked for you.

Chanel

Thank you so much. So we living in South Africa and its now basically summer temperature today around 37 degrees celsius.
The sand thing is a great tip and will attend to that immediately. I will try my best with a new enclosure. I will definitely read the links I am always eager to learn more about my tortoises.

Just a quick update, though, we hydrated Leo in a squash baby mixture with water (baby food bath) and he drank ALOT we thought if he continued he might throw up (if tortoises can even do that). And shortly thereafter he opened both his eyes !!! The one is still fairly swollen but much less now and he started eating some plants we gave him. He is also much more energetic.:D:D:D But to avoid this from happening again I will take your advice.

Will keep updated on how he is doing with pictures to follow...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
At 37C your tort may well be overheating and dehydrated.

You need to be soaking your torts probably twice a day for at least 30 minutes each time.

They need free access to water that they can get into to soak and cool off.

They also need access to deep shade to protect them from the heat. That's something more than a little shelter - they need the cover of bushes and/or trees. In the wild, they'd dig a burrow and do very little in the heat of the day. They'd do most of their eating and drinking very early and late.

Chanel

At 37C your tort may well be overheating and dehydrated.

You need to be soaking your torts probably twice a day for at least 30 minutes each time.

They need free access to water that they can get into to soak and cool off.

They also need access to deep shade to protect them from the heat. That's something more than a little shelter - they need the cover of bushes and/or trees. In the wild, they'd dig a burrow and do very little in the heat of the day. They'd do most of their eating and drinking very early and late.

They have a large variety of bushes and many other logs and things for shade as well as a section of shade 24/7. We tried to put the water in so that it was available but was never ever used. I'll try again, especially because of the temperatures. And I'll do the double hydration. The only problem if you read earlier is that he will stay still for about 5-10 minute and then he starts becoming frantic, moving around the water bowl looking very uncomfortable ??( also the water is perfect temperature Luke warm ) so I don't understand Any thoughts???

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Just because a water bowl doesn't appear to be used, doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. It needs to be wide enough for all 3 to get in and soak together. It needs to sunk into the ground so the edge is level with the surface. A large terracotta plant saucer or a bin lid would be good though you may need to put stones in the bottom to stop it from being too deep.

Water is essential for survival and must be there 24/7. I really suspect dehydration to be the cause after what I have read.

I found soaking to be most successful when a tort isn't fully warmed up. First thing in the morning (as early as possible when it's as hot as you have) and last thing in the evening (even if your tort has turned in for the night)

Use a deep straight sided bowl that isn't see- through (I use a washing up bowl). The water needs to be warm, but not hot - think baby bath rather than tepid. All your torts need these soaks, but do them separately not together - three bowls.

The time isn't optional at the moment. Twenty minutes minimum. Thirty minutes ideal. You cannot be too careful.

@Tidgy's Dad has experience of very high temperatures in Morocco with his tort living outdoors. @Gillian Moore lives in Jordan with stupidly hot temperatures and soaks her tort three times a day in the extremes.

Chanel

Just because a water bowl doesn't appear to be used, doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. It needs to be wide enough for all 3 to get in and soak together. It needs to sunk into the ground so the edge is level with the surface. A large terracotta plant saucer or a bin lid would be good though you may need to put stones in the bottom to stop it from being too deep.

Water is essential for survival and must be there 24/7. I really suspect dehydration to be the cause after what I have read.

I found soaking to be most successful when a tort isn't fully warmed up. First thing in the morning (as early as possible when it's as hot as you have) and last thing in the evening (even if your tort has turned in for the night)

Use a deep straight sided bowl that isn't see- through (I use a washing up bowl). The water needs to be warm, but not hot - think baby bath rather than tepid. All your torts need these soaks, but do them separately not together - three bowls.

The time isn't optional at the moment. Twenty minutes minimum. Thirty minutes ideal. You cannot be too careful.

@Tidgy's Dad has experience of very high temperatures in Morocco with his tort living outdoors. @Gillian Moore lives in Jordan with stupidly hot temperatures and soaks her tort three times a day in the extremes.

That is very helpful. Thank you so much. We did the 30 minute soak yesterday and will continue to do so from now on. We are gonna get a water dish for their garden ASAP. Thanks so much for the help.

Kasia

Poland
They have a large variety of bushes and many other logs and things for shade as well as a section of shade 24/7. We tried to put the water in so that it was available but was never ever used. I'll try again, especially because of the temperatures. And I'll do the double hydration. The only problem if you read earlier is that he will stay still for about 5-10 minute and then he starts becoming frantic, moving around the water bowl looking very uncomfortable ??( also the water is perfect temperature Luke warm ) so I don't understand Any thoughts???
Don't mind him wanting to get out of the soak... kids don't always like to take a bath still you will put them in...:) water bowl needs to be in the enclosure, torts don't drink as often but they need a constant access specially if it's 37 deg outside. Hugs for your shell babies, read all what @JoesMum wrote, it's all important stuff:)

Last edited: