URI ??? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

laura808

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
not able to leave comments for now
Otis the Tortoise has been making the dreaded popping noises quite often and blowing a bubble from his nostril about once a day. im so worried! His eating seems to be fine and he still poops regularly. I would rather not take him to the vet because it is sooo expensive nowadays, so do I need to buy some baytril or some other kind of drops? please help!

Ohh and I had to dump out his coco coir substrate because it attracted alot of gnats. Those dumb bugs were having a party in his enclosure so I dumped the coir out and he is now living on paper towels ( my last resort ) while I look for cypress mulch or anything else. has this happened to any of you?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I can't help you out with the URI stuff...but If you have an ACE hardware store near you or a petco you can purchase cypress mulch from them. ACE will order it for you, I think somewhere around $4.

Re: the gnats...I don't know but I don't think they are a problem for torts...they don't do any harm from what I understand.

I don't know what you consider a party of gnats :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would not be as worried about the bubble as I would runny discharge from the nose myself. You could always up the temps a little if it is an indoor one. Regarding gnats you could always use those fly pest strips, I had a nasty little brown bug infestation a couple of years ago, still don't know what they were, and I used them and got rid of them.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
If he's eating and active, don't worry about it. Just keep an eye out for any changes in behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.