UV light keeps blowing out

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjr153

5 Year Member
I am having trouble with a light bulb. It is a Zoomed Power Sun UV. I have gone through two bulbs in the past month. I don't know if it is because something was wrong with that lot. It is compatible with the clamp lamp I have and the wattage is in the range of the lamp. When the first one blew I just evenly exchanged it for the same thing. Last night the other one blew out. I am getting ready to go to the pet store within the hour. Can someone recommend a light bulb to get. It is a Sulcata. Thanks!:)
Also, I even exchanged the clamp lamp just in case it was the lamp and not the bulb. So it is a different lamp from the first one that blew out.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I use the power suns as well. When mine blow out I call zoomed and they ship me a new one.

The best mvb on the market is a megaray. They are a little more expensive but they last a lot longer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Do you have it mounted vertical or is in at an angle in the clamp fixture? Also, did you know that they have some sort of ballast in them where if they are on and hot, and you turn them off, they won't turn on again until they cool down.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They sometimes over heat in the typical pet store clamp lamps. You need the 11" aluminum domed type with the heavier cord from the hardware store.

They also have a circuit in them that prevents over heating. Its the delay thing that Yvonne was referring to. It will also shut it down if it over heats in too small of a fixture with too small of a cord.

Powersuns are good, but they blow up sometimes too. Try again and make sure you have an adequate fixture and that the bulb is pointing straight down, not an an angle.

kjr153

5 Year Member
My bulb is pointing straight down. Is it possible for a bulb to burn through a metal screen top? The bulb is not touching the screen. I was aware of the 15 minute delay from turning it off to back on. I bought a $60 bulb so it better last :) It has a one year mfr. warrenty.

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
I had this problem for a while. Like Tom said... I eventually got a burlier ceramic socket from Lowe's, and that did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.