UV light size recommended for enclosure

Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver bc
Hi I’m new and trying to learn as much as possible before homing a new tortoise.

I’m wondering what would be the recommended size uv light for a 4x2x2 enclosed chamber enclosure? Say for a star tortoise species as a hatchling. Would it be placed in the middle of enclosure? Also Iv seen hooks used to hang these types of lights but also wondering whats the be the best way to hang a CHE in an enclosure? Does it also have to have a dome over it? Not sure if that’s the right term. Iv read that the basking light should. TIA

Attachments

• IMG_6734.png
    IMG_6734.png
    307.8 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello there! Love that you’re getting prepared! It’s always best to have things up and running before bringing baby home🥰

For UV those are the correct bulbs, but bulbs only, if you type in ‘Arcadia proT5 kit 12%’ the listing should come up that sells both the bulb and reflector fitting together, the 24w will be fine, you’ll mount it as close to your basking bulb as possible the one end🙂you can mount the reflector onto a piece of timber that has hooks in the back and hang from chains.

For the CHE it’s best to get a dome yes, one that has a ceramic fitting(the part the bulb screws in) you’ll want one that’s wide and not deep, at least 10-10.5 inches, some use brooder lamps like the one I’ve attached, obviously the ceramic will need to be ran on a thermostat too. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_1683.png
    IMG_1683.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2157.jpeg
    IMG_2157.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi I’m new and trying to learn as much as possible before homing a new tortoise.

I’m wondering what would be the recommended size uv light for a 4x2x2 enclosed chamber enclosure? Say for a star tortoise species as a hatchling. Would it be placed in the middle of enclosure? Also Iv seen hooks used to hang these types of lights but also wondering whats the be the best way to hang a CHE in an enclosure? Does it also have to have a dome over it? Not sure if that’s the right term. Iv read that the basking light should. TIA
For 4x2x2 go with the short tube - the most common is 24". While there are shorter fixtures (from ZooMed, for example), it would be harder to find a replacement lamp.

UVB fixture should be placed near the basking lamp so heat and UV will be provided over the same area. Basking lamp is placed at a short distance from UVB and can be tilted a little like is shown here: https://tomaskas.co.uk/what-is-uv-shadow-and-how-do-i-avoid-it/

Basking area is usually located on one side of the enclosure, not in the middle - this creates better temperature gradient and allows to use CHE for maintaining ambient temperature in the cold part.

Vancouver bc
Hello there! Love that you’re getting prepared! It’s always best to have things up and running before bringing baby home🥰

For UV those are the correct bulbs, but bulbs only, if you type in ‘Arcadia proT5 kit 12%’ the listing should come up that sells both the bulb and reflector fitting together, the 24w will be fine, you’ll mount it as close to your basking bulb as possible the one end🙂you can mount the reflector onto a piece of timber that has hooks in the back and hang from chains.

For the CHE it’s best to get a dome yes, one that has a ceramic fitting(the part the bulb screws in) you’ll want one that’s wide and not deep, at least 10-10.5 inches, some use brooder lamps like the one I’ve attached, obviously the ceramic will need to be ran on a thermostat too. Hope this helps!
Thank you for the visuals that helps a lot!

Vancouver bc
For 4x2x2 go with the short tube - the most common is 24". While there are shorter fixtures (from ZooMed, for example), it would be harder to find a replacement lamp.

UVB fixture should be placed near the basking lamp so heat and UV will be provided over the same area. Basking lamp is placed at a short distance from UVB and can be tilted a little like is shown here: https://tomaskas.co.uk/what-is-uv-shadow-and-how-do-i-avoid-it/

Basking area is usually located on one side of the enclosure, not in the middle - this creates better temperature gradient and allows to use CHE for maintaining ambient temperature in the cold part.
Thank you! That article was helpful!